Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Technology and computers and how good everything was in the old days

Silvaire wrote:

I wish I’d followed his idea on Qualcomm stock

I wish I had bought a couple of bitcoin when they were really coins

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

How can bitcoin be sustainable? Isn’t it something totally artificial?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You mean compared to Gold, Diamond or … printed paper?

Last Edited by BerlinFlyer at 19 Mar 09:53
Germany

BerlinFlyer wrote:

You mean compared to Gold, Diamond or … printed paper?

Bravo! :)

EGTR

Peter wrote:

How can bitcoin be sustainable? Isn’t it something totally artificial?

It’s sustainable so long as people keep believing it’s going to be saleable. If some day people lose that confidence for whatever reason, there is nothing to prop it up, so it instantly becomes a pyramid scheme.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

If some day people lose that confidence for whatever reason, there is nothing to prop it up, so it instantly becomes a pyramid scheme.

In that it is no different from the stock market. Share values are unrelated to the net asset values of companies – it’s all about expected future profits.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 20 Mar 11:17
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

But what if Bitcoin is another dotcom bubble? A lot of people could lose a great deal of money, especially at current prices. The downside could be very big.

France

gallois wrote:

But what if Bitcoin is another dotcom bubble?

But what if USD or EUR is another bubble? See Airborne_Again’s message above…

EGTR

Looking at this simply, if a lot of people lose a lot of money then obviously some other people have made a lot of money. It is bit like those who say they have lost money because the value of their ( house/shares/gold hoard – choose at will) has fallen. It is only relevant if you have to sell.

UK, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

In that it is no different from the stock market. Share values are unrelated to the net asset values of companies – it’s all about expected future profits.

That’s only true to a certain extent. Most companies have an inherent value. Yes the value ascribed to them on the stock market, which exceeds their inherent value could also be viewed as a pyramid scheme. But they do have an inherent value which is real.

arj1 wrote:

But what if USD or EUR is another bubble?

That’s also true, and does happen to currencies. But if the economy is well run then the governments can prop up those currencies and the risk is very low. There is no one in the background to prop up bitcoin if confidence is lost.

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 20 Mar 14:21
EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message