Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Acceptance of electronic logbooks (or simple Excel files) in different countries

I suspect that there isn’t one answer to this. Just the generic term “logbooks” covers a lot of territory even in paper form, varying from aircraft maintenance and journey records to pilot flying records.

Starting in paper form, do EASA regulations define the format of these various records, or like the FAA just the information that needs to be recorded? For pilot licensing, this seems to fall within the domain of the “competent authority”.

In a general sense, EASA Easy Access for Air Operations GM1 NCO.GEN.135(b) Documents, manuals, and information to be carried (p.1404) states:
“The documents, manuals and information may be available in a form other than on printed paper. An electronic storage medium is acceptable if accessibility, usability and reliability can be assured.”

Vladimir wrote:

I once heard from a fellow pilot that some of the Scandinavian countries also accept digital records but only if you print them in the format of a physical EASA logbook and then glue the printed sheets inside the book.

The FCL.050 also says:
“The pilot shall keep a reliable record of the details of all flights flown in a form and manner established by the competent authority.”

For pilot licensing, FCL.001 says:
“For the purpose of this Part, the competent authority shall be an authority designated by the Member State to whom a person applies for the issue of pilot licences or associated ratings or certificates.”

So any EASA country would need to accept the format established and accepted by the license issuer.

Last Edited by chflyer at 12 May 13:37
LSZK, Switzerland

Dimme wrote:

I got a homemade Excel with a website that generates EASA-compatible printouts. I never had any issues with any authority not accepting it.

Is this Sweden? Is it documented somewhere or it just “works”?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Snoopy wrote:

It is written in EASA FCL.050 recording of Flight Time. Electronic format is permitted.

This is only partially correct (talking only about private pilots; recording of time for commercial pilots can be done by the operator electronically). Up until March 18th 2020 the following text existed in Part-FCL:

(e) Flight crew logbook entries should be made as soon as practicable after any flight undertaken. All entries in the logbook should be made in ink or indelible pencil.

Amendment 9 to Part-FCL from March 18th 2020 added this:

(2) for other types of flights in aeroplanes, helicopters and powered-lift aircraft, the pilot should record the details of the flights flown in the following logbook format, which may be kept in electronic format. All data set out in (a) should be included.

(2) in case of electronic records, they should be made and kept in a way to be readily available at the request of a competent authority, and contain all relevant items that are mentioned in (a), certified by the pilot, and in a format acceptable by the competent authority.

Which means basically: You are allowed to, if your authority defines what is “acceptable” for them and you use the specified format.

Hence my question: Which authorities have defined anything at all.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

The FCL.050 also says:
“The pilot shall keep a reliable record of the details of all flights flown in a form and manner established by the competent authority.”

FCL.050 says more than that (see my previous comment), talking about the record type specifically. It’s just in a different chapter (Part-FCL is a nightmare).

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Swiss authority FOCA supports since this year its own digital flight log as well as a more comprehensive version from the same developer. They encourage the pilots to do the switch.
Here

LSZG

Vladimir wrote:

FCL.050 says more than that (see my previous comment), talking about the record type specifically. It’s just in a different chapter (Part-FCL is a nightmare).

Agreed, and it is worse trying to keep a pilot log that conforms to both EASA and FAA requirements given for example the different definition of instrument time. This is one of the big advantages of the FAA licence for Part 91 flight. Time is only relevant when a new licence or rating is desired. Regular renewals such as flight reviews or proficiency checks don’t have any flight hour requirements.

LSZK, Switzerland

I know that many pilots carry their pilot log when travelling, but it is not required. So normally in Europe only the licensing entity wants/needs to see it when controlling hours for renewals. It would be interesting if anyone has ever had a request to see their pilot log when travelling, and if so the justification.

LSZK, Switzerland

Sure, any German “Luftaufsichtler”, when conducting a random check on a pilot, will want to check if he is current to carry passengers (at least if any passengers were or are to be carried on board).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Sure, any German “Luftaufsichtler”, when conducting a random check on a pilot, will want to check if he is current to carry passengers (at least if any passengers were or are to be carried on board).

As chflyer writes, you are not obliged to carry your personal logbook. You are only required to make it available “without undue delay” upon request (FCL.045). This is not even an AMC but hard law.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I know. Just saying what happens in practice…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message