Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Adding basemap Charts to ForeFlight

I’m starting using it for VFR and IFR, with PP and national charts and so far it’s ok. IAC are good on IPad Air but radio frequencies are not obviously located. Actually FF does show them efficiently on airport tab, I’m happy with it.
It’s true that VFR reporting point could be better handled, but I’m not sure there is an office way to report it on a FPL.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 25 Sep 08:14
LFMD, France

I’ve been a SD user, then I started trying FF and, for a while, used them side by side.
And finally I switched completely to ForeFlight. Not here to advocate one or the other, simply telling my own experience.
On FF, with the recent updates, I have all charts of Europe from AIP’s (including Germany which is not there on SD) with the standard subscription. Then I can add Jeppesen charts, VFR (Bottlang) for 90 euros or IFR for 669 EUR/year. These prices are limited to the usage of the charts within Foreflight, which means 3 devices running ForeFlight and not, for example, 1 iPad with ForeFlight. 1 Glass cockpit device and a third device.
In the end I got used to FF, although it was less intuitive than SD in terms of learning curve, and it works really well in Europe once you have some experience.
And I am very happy with the Jeppesen integration and the fact you can have both airways and VFR modes together, instead of switching from one to another. What do I miss from SD? The vertical profile view with different altitudes (really don’t get why it’s not there yet, it was promised by FF ages ago) and the pilot notes about the airports.

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands

NicoKM wrote:

On FF, with the recent updates, I have all charts of Europe from AIP’s (including Germany which is not there on SD) with the standard subscription.

Is that really true? The FF web site says you have to pay €50+VAT to get the German VFR AIP charts. The German IFR AIP charts are included free of charge in SD as well.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Is that really true? The FF web site says you have to pay €50+VAT to get the German VFR AIP charts. The German IFR AIP charts are included free of charge in SD as well.

You are right, the German VFR AIP Charts are not vor free! You know, in Germany we follow the rule „If you don‘t have to pay for it, it is worth nothing.“

EDDS , Germany

Affirm!
I know about the German rule, but the official Visual approach charts (so called National Visual Operation charts) are definitely visible in FF (they weren’t few months ago) and I haven’t purchased any add-on for them.

EDIT – Actually it seems the AIP VFR charts are visible in FF only for controlled fields, not for the uncontrolled ones.

Last Edited by NicoKM at 04 Oct 07:44
EHLE LIMB, Netherlands

That is the point, the AIP VFR charts for all uncontrolled aerodromes, including opening hour information etc. is not included in FF. You still need to buy the additional DFS-package, just like in any other EFB-product, like SD, EasyVFR etc.

Personally, I tried SD and FF also in parallel and it was just a simple choice for me to get SD… Especially for the clear airspace overview and vector-based chart. The default charts in FF are just a pain for my eyes, and I don’t like to buy additional classical ICAO charts as an overlay.

Last Edited by Frans at 04 Oct 10:49
Switzerland

I use FF but recently had the opportunity to see a trip printout from SD and I liked the fact that it had all the frequencies printed. I like all my frequencies on paper on my kneeboard, and have to do it manually with FF – unless I’m missing a trick.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Today I found out that the German VFR charts (for controlled airfield) magically disappeared from ForeFlight :(
Wonder if they have been there for a while by accident…
I had some of them added to binders for my trips, and they now show up as empty slots in those binders. I’m left with the Jeppesen ones.

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands

NicoKM wrote:

Today I found out that the German VFR charts (for controlled airfield) magically disappeared from ForeFlight :(
Wonder if they have been there for a while by accident…
I had some of them added to binders for my trips, and they now show up as empty slots in those binders. I’m left with the Jeppesen ones.

Please send an email to [email protected] to report the issue.

KUZA, United States

Done! Let’s see if I get a response! Thanks

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message