Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA's non-recognition of UK (EASA FCL compliant) theory exam passes and training done before 1/1/2021

Ibra wrote:

Aisde from Easyjet & BA, who are the other UK airlines that still fly intra-Europe on G-regs? Jet2com maybe?
- Norwegian UK & Virgin UK seems US oriented
- FlyBe & Monarch, went bust

I believe Easyjet left the UK.

The options are:
Wizzair UK,
Ryanair UK,
TUI
BAW
Jet2

TUI and BAW won’t hire me due to low hours. Only 3 potential employers is not great.

EDDW, Germany

Alpha_Floor wrote:

Worthless is an exageration but I was planning to move to Europe later this year for work (as an aircraft designer).

With the caveat that I am doing this as hobby, I feel really frustrated not being able to fly an aircraft that end up stuck for 2 months in the wrong airport untill it was collected by someone else in my syndicate with all costs & hassle that goes with (I had to move an N-reg aircraft to France to get it’s post-Brexit EU/UK TVA circulation status sorted but with my late SOLI process, I could not fly it back to UK on an FAA61.75, the French EASA licence has not arrived yet and the UK CAA PPL was sent to the wrong adress)

I just can’t imagine how the mess would impacts someone who is doing it for a living…

Alpha_Floor wrote:

Ryanair UK,

They seemed to move lot of their fleet to Malta & Ireland regs ?

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Jan 16:38
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ryanair has a couple planes on SP-reg (Poland) – under their low cost label, RyanAir Sun → Buzz

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

It doesn’t really matter whether they have G reg aircraft or not. For European operators, this (taken from the Ryanair careers page) will be what you see:

Licence Type – must have a valid EASA (CPL) Frozen ATPL (Air Transport Pilots License)

Wizz air is the same.

The UK CAA already have easy validation in place for EASA licences, so these companies can still have EASA pilots fly G reg, and if needs be there is expected to be an easy EASA to UK conversion available come April time or thereabouts. It is those that don’t (or no longer) have an EASA licence but a UK one that are in a bit of trouble.

United Kingdom

I think Qalupalik’s post above is likely to be highly relevant to any solution.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

tmo wrote:

Ryanair has a couple planes on SP-reg (Poland) – under their low cost label, RyanAir Sun

Ryanair has a “low cost” label!?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Ryanair has a “low cost” label!?

That’s indeed a funny one!

What would you do

Dear fellow aviators, Im a holder of an EASA PPL with NQ and EASA Medical C1. Im a holder of UK ATPL issued last year, Im a part Owner of a Piper Lance which is EASA Registered, due to new restrictions I won’t be able to use the UK ATPL in EASA. My main goal is to get an CBIR and enjoy flying all types of weather in a SEP. would you wait to convert until the rules has been clarified? My ATPL has a expirery which is December 2022

[ @r08thobias post moved to a thread on a nearly identical topic ]

Norway

r08thobias wrote:

My main goal is to get an CBIR and enjoy flying all types of weather in a SEP.

Do you mean in a G-reg or EASA-reg SEP? I assume you mean the EASA-reg Piper you part-own.

EASA’s position right now is clear (and ridiculous): the UK is a third-country and all UK flight licences are ICAO licences. If you want to convert your UK ATPL to an EASA ATPL the rules are laid out on Commission Delegated Regulation 2020/723
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32020R0723&from=EN
I believe you should look at Article 6 since you don’t intend to fly professionally. If you do want to fly professionally, it’s article 5.

So in summary you need to:
1) pass five theoretical exams on Air Law, Met, Planning, Performance and Human Factors.
2) pass a language proficiency test.
3) hold an ICAO Class 1 (which you hold)
4) 100 hours PIC IFR time in SEPs
5) pass an SEP and IR skills test, I guess both can be done on the same test.

If you don’t hold 100 hours PIC IFR in SEPs, say you hold 50 hours, then this route doesn’t apply. You can then check whether you qualify for the route laid out in article 5 and the minimum experience requirements in Table 1.

If neither apply, you could either build the PIC IFR SEP hours or do a CB-IR course at an EASA ATO where you can presumably credit the IFR time you already have (up to a maximum of 35 hours). You’d need to complete a theory ground course and pass the theory exams, which can be either the IR or the ATPL theory exams.

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 08 Feb 08:31
EDDW, Germany

and those pilots didn’t move their papers to Austria either.

Didn’t all easy pilots with UK license get EASA ones?

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message