Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA's non-recognition of UK (EASA FCL compliant) theory exam passes and training done before 1/1/2021

According to one EJ pilot I spoke to a year ago, only those doing cabotage flights moved theirs to Austria, and similarly for the planes. If you flew UK-whatever you stayed G-reg and with a UK ATPL.

That was a year ago.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AFAIK EJ effectively split their operations in two: UK based stayed CAA, everything else, airplanes and crews, were moved to Austria. I don’t know the proportions of this deal, i.e. which percentage moved to Austria. In any case, these are the airplanes and crews that operate within the EU. More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyJet_Europe

@Alpha_Floor

That article applies to validations which are issued for a finite period.

Art 4(3). The validation of a licence shall have a validity period,
which does not exceed one year, and its privileges shall only be
exercised as long as the licence remains valid.

The competent authority that validated the licence may extend the
validity only once and only by a maximum of one year, if during the
validity period the pilot has applied for a licence in accordance with
Annex I (Part-FCL) to Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 or is undergoing
training for the issuance of such a licence. In that last case, the
extension shall cover the period of time necessary for the licence to
be issued in accordance with Annex I (Part-FCL) to Regulation (EU) No
1178/2011.

Instead for conversions see arts 3(b) and 9.

London, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

I don’t know the proportions of this deal, i.e. which percentage moved to Austria. In any case, these are the airplanes and crews that operate within the EU.

U2 is Austria‘s largest airline by aircraft fleet on an austrian AOC. IIRC no crews are based here though.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 08 Feb 17:48
always learning
LO__, Austria

I did wonder what happened to that validation option here.

I wonder how they tell you are “undergoing training”?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

@Alpha_Floor

That article applies to validations which are issued for a finite period.

Thanks for the correction.

There is a reason why Air Law was the subject I got the worst grade of all my ATPL exams… xD

EDDW, Germany

r08thobias wrote:

Im a holder of UK ATPL issued last year, Im a part Owner of a Piper Lance which is EASA Registered, due to new restrictions I won’t be able to use the UK ATPL in EASA. My main goal is to get an CBIR and enjoy flying all types of weather in a SEP.

You can not validate a third country (icao) ATPL into an “IR for EASA SEP”. So either you validate your ATPL as EASA ATPL or you get an (independent) IR for your EASA PPL.

But there might be another option:
r08thobias wrote:

Im a holder of UK ATPL issued last year,

As you got your UK ATPL only last year I assume you had a “UK”-CPL/IR before that to work towards the ATPL flight time requirements. As this has been during EASA-times in the UK there might be a way to migrate this CPL into another EASA county as from EASA POV it should still be valid (EASA licenses do not have an expiry date). Therefore all you might need is an IR checkflight to renew your SEP CR and IR on that EASA CPL.

This way obviously doesn’t work if that CPL is very old and was obtained before EASA times and never converted into an “UK-EASA-license” – but I assume there are only few of these left if any…

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 09 Feb 09:46
Germany

Great news today!

EASA seem to have finally acknowledged that UK ATPL TK (theoretical knowledge) obtained before the end of 2020 can be used to apply for EASA licences.

Note that a SOLI transfer is not possible though. This just allows one to use their ATPL TK. Other things like getting a medical, doing the skill test etc. may have to be redone. I recently obtained a Class 1 EASA (it would have been very convenient to have both the UK and EASA medical with the same expiry date so that the same AME can revalidate both, sadly they are out of sync by about 6 months…)

The updated the FAQ on their website, also see attached PDF.EASA_FAQ_Mar_12_Doc_1_pdf

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 12 Mar 21:13
EDDW, Germany

It is a start, unfortunately this is only allowed for those obtaining a licence for the first time and is still blocked as an option for those trying to do a third country conversion from the UK. I asked an EASA NAA about this as soon as I saw the updated FAQ and received the following reply:

This was brought up in the meeting and we were told its only for people who are still within in training towards the CPL/ATPL.

As you are the holder of a UK EASA licence which is now a 3rd country licence you have to meet the conversion requirements and part of that is completing the EASA exams, that submission from EASA does not cover you.

I understand that Pilots are writing to EASA on this matter so perhaps you should also make a case, sorry that’s all I can advise.

Quite what legal basis there is for accepting that exams are valid for one group of people for licence issue but not valid for another group of people for licence issue, I don’t know. I have written to EASA directly to query it.

United Kingdom

Pirho wrote:

Quite what legal basis there is for accepting that exams are valid for one group of people for licence issue but not valid for another group of people for licence issue, I don’t know.

I don’t think there is, nor are they saying that. Just curious: which NAA was that?

You can use your UK ATPL theoretical knowledge (passed pre-2021) as part of an application towards an EASA licence. So this will only be of use to you if you passed the last ATPL exam less than 3 years ago, as I understand it at least.

I for instance have until October of this year to use that theory to apply for an EASA CPL/IR. It should be enough time but with lockdowns and all what is going on it’s nothing to get too relaxed about.

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 13 Mar 23:00
EDDW, Germany
Sign in to add your message