Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

US AOPA - lessons for Europe?

Ownership absolutely makes people aware of their stake, and take it more seriously. Oldest fact in the book and why I believe in ownership based society. In many places, property ownership was once a condition for being able to vote, and while that concept clearly had its issues in broader politics there was a reason why it existed.

Freedom of movement is likewise a key issue, and you don’t know its limits until you test them.

Two of the main factors in the avoidance of authoritarian rule. Aviation somehow always highlights key factors.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Jun 15:01

Peter wrote:

Am I right that anybody can join an “AOPA” but only aeroclubs can join the French FFA?

That is correct, the FFA is a ‘fédération’ and its members are the aéroclubs. When the FFA call for a General Assembly, each aéroclub belonging to the FFA is invited to send a representative of the club. It’s a similar thing in most sports in France, and from my understanding after a few years in Norway, it’s quite similar here too.

ENVA, Norway

I have been a member of AOPA (USA) for about 10 years. I really admire what they achieve in the US, such as medical self declaration legislation recently, their “Rusty Pilot” program to get lapsed pilots back in the air and their battles to keep airports open and honest. And theirs is the only hard copy aviation magazine that I read

As regards Europe, I don’t even know if I am a member of AOPA here. I had always assumed that as a UK based member of AOPA US I would be somehow counted as an affiliate of AOPA UK or AOPA Europe if there is such a thing. But they have never contacted me. I guess this goes to show how ineffective AOPA Europe is. Surely anyone belonging to the mothership AOPA USA, but with a European address, should be automatically made a member of the relevant European AOPA?

Also, I am vaguely aware that there are a number of European country AOPA’s here, UK, Germany and Greece to name a few. But surely this is way too splintered to be effective. There should be one continent wide AOPA which combines the total muscle of the total pilot pool to pick off one or two key lobbying topics each year.

Does anyone know how AOPA Europe, or the country AOPAs, work and what their relationship to each other, and to the US umbrella is?

I guess I rely on PPLIR to lobby on my behalf of European issues, though I am not sure I completely trust their motivations sometimes.

As far as my favourite pilot forum in Europe, it has become EuroGA in recent years. Well done Peter! And thank you.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Thanks

There is IAOPA which you are a member of, I think, if you are in US AOPA, or any other AOPA.

They hold regular lunches for the various AOPA heads They also send out an email newsletter which sometimes has interesting stuff. I am sure they try to apply pressure here and there…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

In fact I wonder whether the whole “individual owner-pilot” versus “aeroclub renter” balance is very different in the US versus Europe.

Absolutely that is a major thing. AOPA calls itself the Airplane Owners and Pilots association. In Europe, with their often very tinted idea of entitlement to ownership this may keep a lot of renters off, even though that would be quite stupid. AOPA Switzerland has been quite active but they are also not too vocal about their accomplishments which often means people think they do nothing.

The other bit is that in the US there is mostly ONE organisation who represents all of GA and that is AOPA, where as here, there always has been the national aeroclub scene who traditionally are the local GA lobby vs an international organisation. So in most countries the Aeroclubs claim the birthright of being those who will negotiate with politicians and the CAA about issues and would the others shut up please. AOPA is seen and also often actively decried by some of them as a “competition” which of course is total bull… but it shows yet again how fragmented the GA representation in Europe is.

IAOPA and its European branch were instrumental in getting the IR problematic moving at the time, that much I know. Also, without AOPA Greece, Bulgaria and some others in those regions, flying to either country would be a much more expensive exercise, they do a lot there to keep GA possible at all. Here, AOPA is to my knowledge a fully acknowledged stakeholder in GA process and they also have a representation within EASA, which for Switzerland is quite important.

I fully agree however that a unified European AOPA would be very desirable as well as that the competition between Aeroclubs and AOPA needs to stop and they should concentrate their efforts. That is a main issue in the whole problem.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

AOPA calls itself the Airplane Owners and Pilots association. In Europe, with their often very tinted idea of entitlement to ownership this may keep a lot of renters off, even though that would be quite stupid

AOPA is a political organisation for owners of certified aircraft only. Then we have EAA, which is open to everyone interested in aviation. AOPA doesn’t DO anything except politics, while EAA has countless courses and all kinds of opportunities for everyone to participate in almost everything related to aviation. Still, EAA has more political muscle than AOPA, all things considered. European organisations have much more in common with EAA than AOPA. I don’t see the use for an organisation than do not cover ALL of aviation, or at least all of GA.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

AOPA doesn’t DO anything except politics

LeSving wrote:

EAA has more political muscle than AOPA

Not true for the US.

AOPA US is very active in promoting aviation safety. They have hundreds of courses and videos related to training and safety, including the Air Safety Institute. They are very active generating interest in aviation with both pilots and the public at large, including organizing fly-ins across the country. They are also able to intervene and provide support to pilots on individual and specific legal and medical issues.

As you mention, EAA and AOPA have a different focus but in general AOPA has more political influence than most lobbying groups in the US government and have permanent representation in Washington. EAA’s political influence is very concentrated on FAA matters. AOPA’s is very broad, going far beyond just the FAA.

Since Europe is so fragmented, neither EAA nor AOPA national affiliates have the same clout as either of them in the US.

LSZK, Switzerland

In the US, EAA and AOPA cooperate usefully. In Europe people discuss which is more individually important in the US There’s your lesson.

I believe AOPA just built up an RV-10 and did the interesting comparison with Cirrus.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 07 Jun 15:23

Silvaire wrote:

There’s your lesson.

You got a point perhaps, but neither EAA nor AOPA is a major player in Europe, and Europe is NOT a single country. That is your lesson As a long term member of the EAA, I would say though, that all the major organisations in Europe would feel right at home there, no matter which country they are from. The AOPA is a very different kind of organisation, but it becomes what the members want it to be I guess (especially when loosing members) – and that could be different in each country.

In Norway we have NLF, bigger than AOPA and EAA put together when taking into account the size of the country. NLF is under FAI, the largest aviation organisation in the world. It do however have lots of other stuff beside single engine piston planes, for good and for worse.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The FFA, the last I saw, has somewhere between 40, 000 and 50000 licence holders. When you join an aeroclub,if you want to fly a club aircraft, you also need to join the FFA which provide/ arranges insurance for both the club and pilot along with an assistance service to get you and your passengers home in tye event one has to leave the aircraft somewhere due to weather or technical malfunction and to reclaim the aircraft at a later date, including arranging for an engineer to attend. For UK its a bit like the AA/RAC for motorists. Like the EAA and IAOPA it also arranges discounts on things like car hire.
The FFA also has several other missions including judicial aid, leading the fight against airport closures and fighting the French aeroclub cause both within France and internationally eg with EASA and Eurocontrol.
In Europe FFA is represented within the European Flying Union (EPFU) and Europe Air Sport to increase their voice at the European political level.
2 other big GA groups in France are the FFPLUM which serves a similar purpose to the FFA but for ULM pilots most of whom are aircraft owners. The last figure I saw for them was between 30, 000 and 40, 000 licence holders. Since many of them are also members of clubs and a fair proportion are also FFA members there is regular consultation between the 2.
A third, quite large association is the RSA. Pilots with collectors aircraft, old warbirds, orphans, experimental, homebuilts tend to be a member of this. I don’t know how many members they have or what services they provide, although I do know many members and their is a lot of discussion between pilots of all 3 groups.
There is an AOPA France but even when I was an aircraft owner I heard littlemor nothing about it. I also do not know anyone who is a member. I believe in this part of France there are more members of the UK PFA than there are of AOPA France. The only figure for members I ever saw was a figure of 1000 some 10 years ago. Otherwise I don’t know who represents owner pilots of certified aircraft in France.

Last Edited by gallois at 08 Jun 08:39
France
Sign in to add your message