Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many pilots have packed it all up due to the coronavirus situation?

Last year the FFA recorded the largest number of hours flown within clubs. Topping the 500,000 hours.
Since Covid most clubs around here have shown a significant increase in the number of students, both ULM and PPL. The number of hours flown by students has significantly increased. However, the number of hours flown by existing PPLs has dropped slightly.
The number of hours flown by ULM pilots, other than students has increased. This despite the fact that most ULM students, once they have their licence, buy their own aircraft.
Only speaking for this area, as it was something brought up in this year’s regional President’s meeting. Most ULM pilots, especially owners appear to be averaging between 100 and 150 hours a year.
Perhaps meaningless statistics but I found them both interesting and surprising.

France

Since Covid most clubs around here have shown a significant increase in the number of students

That is probably normal, because those “working” from home were still getting their full salary paid (in the 1st World) but had no travel expenses / eating out expenses / etc, so accumulated a lot of cash, and had loads of time. Prices of mountain bikes, anyone??

Plus, for many, covid was a trigger for a re-evaluation of “life priorities”. This is absolutely dramatic; in the UK, the workforce lost nearly 1M people due to this factor! And most of them were older and experienced workers. I am sure it is similar in France, and all other developed countries.

So, yeah, I expect PPL training to be busy… until the money runs out and then it will all crash, because most people can’t fly unless they have a decently paid job.

Actually I expect the profile of PPL students will change…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A year and a half on, this is more visible than ever.

A lot of IR holders have dropped out but it seems to have levelled off for a bit.

I actually wondered if we should have a meet-up for those who have packed it up

Administrator

Peter wrote:

a meet-up for those who have packed it up

Good one

As far as trends go, the amount of licence holders is on a surprisingly steady downward slope in CHE… let’s wait for the 2022 figures to be added.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I’m not sure it’s singularly coronavirus but that was definitely a catalyst for some. There is a huge uplift from the mid range VFR commitment to fully active IR commitment.

Significant cost to attain the IR and keep it valid.
Significant cost to fly regularly to remain current.
(For me a factor of 10 over simple local VFR)
Less likely to be a club hired aircraft.
Often a more expensive aircraft. In every sphere.
Additional subscription to a suitable tablet software (many use Skydemon for VFR which means a copy of Garmin Pilot or Foreflight) I have understood that Foreflight is ok for VFR but not for me.
Additional subscription to Jepp for database updates.
Additional subscription for effective WX data (unless happy with less dispatch which is crap if you’ve come this far)
Investment in O2 (unless happy with less dispatch which is crap if you’ve come this far)
Some kind of portable Cellular data, (It’s easy and robust ti hotspot from phone but can be a faff so Sim enabled tablet, or portable wifi (which I prefer)
Fuel in the norm at £2 a litre.
IFR capable destination fees are through the roof at many places vs a VFR small airfield.

This is unsustainable for most.
Having read what I have written, I’m not sure how I’m doing it.?.?.

United Kingdom

The Q is what did CV19 change for these people?

The other factors have been like that for many years.

Administrator

Yes I agree.
My thoughts are that some of the prices have increased since covid, some parts have become expensive with huge back-order delivery times (engines/avionics) and that all contributes to the hassle factor.
Maybe Covid provoked some reassessment of the situation for many.
In truth anyone flying IFR beyond some OCAS shortish distances, needs to be quite determined and invested to make that happen.

I’m still getting a kick out of it, but seriously the outlay is #‘kin ridiculous for a ’working man’
People around me think I’m insane when they enquire about costs.
……and wonder if I’m dealing drugs

United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The Q is what did CV19 change for these people?

I wonder if there are just coincidental factors at play, like demographics. E.g. it could be pure coincidence that by now the demographic wealthy enough for these activities is reaching an age where they are no longer medically fit to fly and – not coincidentally – also at increased risk of actually dying from Covid or at least severe/long Covid.

Otherwise I don’t see why they shouldn’t increase their activity again now that most or all Covid-based restrictions have been lifted.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Millions of people who were within say 10 years of retirement and not exactly short of money (if you are a man of say 55 and short of money then sadly you are going to have serious issues to deal with) used covid as a trigger to re-evaluate their “life priorities”, and chucked in their crappy job and either retired or moved to doing something nicer though less well paid or even not paid at all. This has created a manpower crisis in the UK and probably elsewhere, as often the smartest / most experienced people departed the company.

We go to London a few times a year, always by train, and the drop in train loads, even during commuting hours, is amazing. It’s actually a nice trip now

And with less income you probably can’t afford to fly.

But if you made the move to reduce the hassle factors in your life, you probably also got out of flying anyway. UNLESS you had carefully managed your flying to get continued value out of it, which some flyers do well, and some not so well. This is a key challenge in GA – one thread.

And so many practically stopped flying during the virus times (GA social media was pretty disgusting to read back then, with so many dicks righteously spouting “CAA guidance”) and lost currency, lost interest, many lost medicals because you could not get to an AME, and this is in addition to CAA poison letters to AMEs to discourage them doing Class 2 medicals.

Except at the very basic VFR level, you can’t really “suspend” flying and, if you do, you will rarely get back into it.

One can also see it on all forums – even on EuroGA where I have contacted a number of old-timers who have gone. Most I knew fairly well, if not actually in person and most of them have actually packed it up. A few still post on their domestic forums but have actually packed up flying. The more worrying thing is that these veterans are not being replaced by newcomers from below.

It’s sad to see.

Administrator

Significant cost to attain the IR and keep it valid. Significant cost to fly regularly to remain current. (For me a factor of 10 over simple local VFR)

Except at the very basic VFR level, you can’t really “suspend” flying and, if you do, you will rarely get back into it.

It’s also easy to pack up at “VFR level” as there is not much value unless you find something fun to keep going (touring, aerobatics, teaching…) but this has been forever

On side note, I am astonished by the number of VFR cafes, ahem VFR strips, that have closed or were sold due to lack of interest from their owners? maybe it’s CV19 related? most have been operating a “food model” and this seems to have died with corona restrictions?

I am talking about places in UK (LAA scene) and France (ULM scene)

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Feb 19:25
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message