Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

YouTuber bails out due to stopped engine (looks like it was staged)

LeSving wrote:

The Cirrus mantra “pull fast, pull often” or whatever it was, is the only right thing to do from a statistical point of view.

Oh there’s even better one: “don’t fly”

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Your point being?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Your point being?

My point is that I’m statistically right while you are not. Pilots who don’t fly can’t get killed in case of engine failure. I’m not sure that survival rate statistics goes in favour of CAPS when compared to engine-out landings.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Trevor Jacob ‘murdered’ his perfectly fine airplane for a frigging clickbait video which backfired big time on him. He pulled a cheap and uprofessional PR stunt that’s bad on so many levels. He doesn’t qualify for a parachute / no parachute discussion in a million years. Why we feel triggered to start one now is totally beyond me.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 17 Jan 15:50
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

The plot thickens as it appears he had a fire extinguisher strapped to each leg under his trousers when he bailed out. Most likely to extinguish a post crash fire to save his go-pro equipment. He also hired a helicopter to remove the wreckage before the NTSB got there.

I do not understand how someone can get away with this without criminal charges. The only possibility would be if you owned a huge chunk of land and dumped the plane onto that, or dumped it on some other private lane with the landowner’s permission, and there wasn’t some overriding law regarding aircraft endangerment (in the UK, AFAIK, you would need CAA permission to do this).

Cirrus BRS discussion moved to the usual place

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Europeans seem to like the world ‘criminal’ quite a bit… My guess assuming he got the plane out of there quickly, and if nobody except himself was endangered, there will be some kind of slap on the wrist, fine or whatever. I’d guess the main issue will be some environmental regulation.

Some kid (or old man) could have enjoyed that Taylorcraft for decades to come. That’s the biggest ‘crime’ in my book but if it was his plane, he could do what he wants with it.

This reminds me of base jumping antics. Long ago a friend who was a USAF officer used to illegally climb up tall towers and jump off them. I remember him describing that the EM field was so strong on one of them that it affected his vision. Then eventually when he got caught, complete with police cars, reporters and newspaper stories, he had to conceal his identity well enough that the Air Force didn’t kick him out due to bad publicity. Apparently he did that well enough, because he eventually ended up flying around in T-38s doing flight test engineering.

People do dumb things, that’s life

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Jan 17:10

My take on this is that the plane could have dropped onto somebody, or some building, etc. One can’t just do this sort of thing, over public land

Environmental issues are unlikely if the tanks were empty

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Trust me, they’ll find an environmental issue

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Jan 17:12

Peter wrote:

One can’t just do this sort of thing, over public land

Not in the UK without considerable risk, sure. But the US has such vast tracts of land containing absolutely no trace of human occupation. Like the Australian outback – so vast we sometimes struggle to comprehend it.

I don’t know much about what the FAA go after people for, but my guess is it’d be a generic charge like recklessness or whatever.

EGLM & EGTN

§ 91.15 Dropping objects.
No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

This doesn’t QUITE cover dropping the aircraft itself, but I guess it could be extended to cover this case. Given he was in the middle of nowhere, I think he’d be fine by 91.15.

But they’ll still get him with 91.13, “careless and reckless”.

LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message