Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Equipment requirements for European IR training and test

That shopping list from Rate One was partly made up on the spot. Dual brakes ADF and DME are not necessarily mandatory; it depends on what you can arrange for the checkride.

Frankly, I think that for one reason of the reasons or another, this DOES rule out most typical “owner” planes. That’s just the way it is. And I guess that, except maybe for the last point, these will also apply in European flight schools.

It depends on where you come from. For me it was easy. Why? I have a fairly standard IFR tourer, not an old wreck, has a ~100% availability. About the only thing I have which has never been of real use is the ADF.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

About the only thing I have which has never been of real use is the ADF.

Does Europe / UK still teach AFD for the IR? Checkride? In FAAland it’s gone the way of the Dodo.

It’s 99% mandatory in UK for initial IR tests (there is a tick box in the form), the guidance is bellow: if you are flying non-NDB IR test, you are expected to fly very long legs (to justify such planning choice) and the IRE may loose his certificate

Here is what the house of dinosaurs think, also if you dig “AMC2 Appendix 6 in Part-FCL”, it says “VOR+NDB and if available VDF” but only flying dinosaurs (and there are plenty around) would think that means “NDB = requirement”, it’s pity we don’t mandate VDF/QDM during IR tests

RateOne equipment list falls under dinosaurs flying to me, it’s not even in-line with CAA standard document as it adds plenty of gold plating on top, these things are nowhere near FCL training requirements, let alone NCO/IDE equipment to fly IFR !

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Standards%20Document%2001(A)%20v10.pdf#page1206

https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Part-FCL.pdf

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Jan 18:19
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I found a good ADF could still pick up Radio 4 on ANT around Geneva :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

VOR+NDB and if available VDF”

Oooh. VDF. I’ve actually used VDF in anger once. Flying from the Swedish mainland to Visby ESSV on the island of Gotland in an aircraft with only a basic NAVCOM (this was a long time ago), the NAV failed and I completed the flight using VDF guidance from Visby TWR. (Gotland is large enough that I wouldn’t have missed it with dead reckoning but this way was better.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

An SRA is typically part of an integrated IR training plan, available at Cardiff or Brize.

It seems in CAA guidance PAR or SRA are not acceptable to tick 3D + 2D approach for the IR test, it has to be pilot interpreted….otherwise, there is a way to fly IR test with “RAF 6 packs and no MFD”, which I founded useful down to 300ft agl (probably way useful in some extreme emergencies)

Way better than banging on VOR & ADF to find out it’s just not for everybody: they are tough and exceed the skills of 99.99% of IR pilots out there, only the lucky & brave would fly these in real life, the rest of pilots tend to fly them in blue sky with familiar antenna nearby once in a year, then they think they have what it takes to fly AirTaxis in Columbia or Nepal

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Jan 20:28
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Did the CBIR on the back of 50 hours plus IFR PIC FAA IR in own N reg aircraft with no ADF no problem. Oct 2021.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

@Pig how did they deal with Britain’s love affair for the NDB hold? I can see how an LNAV and an ILS tick the approaches without the need for an NDB/DME approach, although the ILS would need to be in a radar environment as the standard missed in a procedural environment, in the UK, will have an NDB.

I did the test using the FNY hold at EGCN which is also a gps WP. ROMTI at Lydd is an alternative for down south. Hope that helps.

Last Edited by Pig at 29 Jan 23:51
Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message