Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is FR24 going down the plughole?

time to say goodbye to FR24. Complacency.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

ADS-B and FR has been getting worse over the last 2 years.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

And the better alternative to FR24 is?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

And the better alternative to FR24 is?

FlightAware… maybe…

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

FA is much better, although it uses interpolation to fit a curve to your track so detail is sometimes lost, in the interest of delivering non-jagged tracks.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Were you radiating ADS-B? If so, that tends to confirm my view that FR24 is abandoning the Mode S multilateration approach (which needs lots of ground stations) in favour of pure ADS-B (which can cover e.g. much of central Europe with a single decent size antenna on a hill).

Yes.

EGTF, United Kingdom

aart wrote:

ADS-B and FR has been getting worse over the last 2 years.

Agreed. In my area I now see frequent dropouts where previously there were none. The strange thing is that this does not seem directly related to removal of receiving stations as aircraft taxying on the ground are still shown.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

https://www.adsbexchange.com/

The GUI is powerful but takes some time to learn. What I like about it is that you can go back in time and look at all the aircraft around you at a particular time. It still suffers with some gaps in coverage, like the others.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Correct me if I’m wrong but airliner tracks are displayed properly on FR, even while low, on dep or appch. A different data feed?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message