Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Eye / fingerprint scanning at all EU / Schengen border points, and will this affect GA travel

Cobalt wrote:

If anyone is interested in the details of this – here is the document, of course aimed at “carriers” Frontex Carrier FAQs

Two quotes highly relevant to EuroGA:

“According to Article 1 of the CISA and Article 2 (15) of the Schengen Borders Code, a ‘carrier’ is any natural or legal person whose occupation it is to provide passenger transport by air, sea or land.”

“…natural or legal persons that use privately owned aircraft and do not transport passengers as their profession are not considered carriers and do not need to query the carrier interface.”

(My emphasis.)
Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 17 Jan 14:19
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Cobalt wrote:

It is also complete and utter BS.

Good. That is what the original post said, but it does not make sense.

So in that case, is Ryan Air simply once again looking for publicity or do they have a case?

The way I understand it, you get the ETIAS and with it, you are free to travel for it’s validity. And only the time between application of the ETIAS and it’s issue may be at most 48 hours? So basically it works like ESTA in the US.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

What’s the latest on this? Looks like Eurostar has been getting ready for EES in October 6th.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/eurostar-eu-st-pancras-fingerprint-picture-entry-exit-photo-b1158849.html

Will places like Le Touquet have it installed or Montpellier? I guess the only benefit is not running out of pages for stamps?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Surprised no contributions regarding this; but maybe some of our GA ports in Europe will do the Method at Dover for Cars?

There will be a different process for cars and other vehicles. To start with, they will file into the usual lanes upon arrival at the port.

The port boss said they will be “met by one of our agents with a tablet” and asked for their details. A canopy will be put up over the lanes for weather protection.

The time it takes to go through border controls is likely to rise from 45 to 90 seconds to a couple of minutes or more per person when registering for EES.

Source:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckmm866p23mo

EGSG, United Kingdom

I asked the immigration staff in the Netherlands when I landed there to enter the EU last month. They don’t really know themselves – this is something that will be rolled out and imposed on them.

The current systems are wildly diverse and disfunctional. For example there are still plenty of places which want you to arrive with a paper GENDEC form despite having some sort of online portal where it might be entered beforehand. I was emailed a GENDEC form in Bulgarian recently (I can’t even read the Cyrillic characters, never mind the words), but managed to work around that with the help of airport staff. (There is another copy of the form that thankfully also has English on it.)

The lack of information on how this system will work and be implemented is staggering given the start date later this year.

My sense is that this is a huge IT project, will have further long delays before it starts and then take far longer than the 6 months advertised to transition to full deployment across the EU. These aggressive dates are being published to encourage activity and progress in implementation, but aren’t realistic.

Meanwhile, aviation (and marine) communities need to champion for continued and/or easier access to border control services once these new systems are in place.

Time will tell if this is the case or not!

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

I think it took 20 years just to roll out the present passport scanning system, which just checks the passport details against some database of known crims. And the sophistication of that one is not above Minitel-level I would bet on it being dial-up, not internet-connected.

Then there is job protection. Any streamlining is going to be resisted. For example a “gendec”, like the UK GAR form, generates a huge number of jobs for people who are not capable of doing anything more complex. We are all supposed to think the police are busy catching crims but the reality is far from that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

DavidC wrote:

I asked the immigration staff in the Netherlands when I landed there to enter the EU last month. They don’t really know themselves – this is something that will be rolled out and imposed on them.

I too asked the Police officer at Rotterdam on Thursday, and she didn’t eve know about the system. The staff too in the club, didn’t know either – I am guessing the end of extra-Schengen for a lot of places come this “New” thing. Amazing really, as the horse has bolted with crime in Europe.

Peter wrote:

UK GAR form

The new sGAR for me is super simple. It’s better than it was when I first used it back during COVID.

EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

as the horse has bolted with crime in Europe.

Really?

Well obviously schengen does facilitate crime, but everybody knew that beforehand… Probably not much since mainland Europe has not had effective borders for decades; you need a minefield for that, or a moat etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Well obviously schengen does facilitate crime,

We’ve had Schengen for decades. That can hardly be what pilotrobbie referred to.

Sign in to add your message