Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mooney makes a comeback

I’m really surprised to read that the FD is not taught in schools. Really thankful to my teacher that he not only bought planes which had it but also taught us how to use it. Nice if one gets an instructor who’s been there and flown airliners. Of course, many schools have planes which don’t have a FD, but it is certainly an advantage if they do.

flying the FD just feels like you’re sitting in front of Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Actually, with a good plane model MSFS is a very good training tool to learn how to use the FD. Just how good I did find repeatedly when doing model verifications on full flight simulators. I never had a problem with flying FD’s, neither cross pointer or single cue, also thanks to years of development and review work in that scene. Kept me current even while I was not flying. i still use it in the winter months.

It’s anyone’s choice whether to use it or not, I personally think a lot of the “best use of equipment” mantra I was taught throughout my flying. I also try to apply it in other aspects of life. But everyone has to know what works for them.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 24 Jan 11:26
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

IME all UK GA IFR training is just basic instruments, “raw data” i.e. CDI bars, or HSI bars if you have an HSI.

You are not allowed to fly an ILS using the FD, on a UK initial IR test (they won’t let you engage the AP, which you have to do to get the FD bars to pop up) so aren’t likely to be using it in FTO training either.

It’s back to the same old business of most IFR pilots learning most useful stuff from the internet! There are some “advanced” courses which I know some people go on. I know some Jetprop pilots who did some, Cirrus run some, and there are a few outfits like TAA who also used to bring in FAA DPEs, back when that used to be possible.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an FD? I understand from these lines that it cannot be used when the autopilot is active, so it must be some kind of “partial autopilot”? What does the acronym actually stand for? What are the pros and cons of it? When is it typically or best applied, or not?
Peter, kindly add response to the glossary, too?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

New thread here on Flight Director use

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You are not allowed to fly an ILS using the FD, on a UK initial IR test (they won’t let you engage the AP, which you have to do to get the FD bars to pop up) so aren’t likely to be using it in FTO training either.

Ugh. How lovely. Shows how close they are to real life. I fully agree that people need to demonstrate and be able to fly raw data, but not to use and not to teach the use of AP/FD, particularly nowadays that a 2 axis AP is compulsory for Single Pilot IFR is a bit off.

On my last recurrency check, 10 years ago abouts, I was reprimanded by the checker for not using the AP/FD enough. He said that he wants to see people do best use of equipment in normal ops and raw data, hand flying e.t.c. as ordered as part of abnormal ops training. I ended up doing one FD/Handflown ILS and a raw data, single engine 2 NDB approach with SE go around, followed by the flight back on both and a coupled AP flown ILS to CAT I minimas. Must I add that he is an airline pilot in his “day” job?

It’s back to the same old business of most IFR pilots learning most useful stuff from the internet!

Seems to be or by choosing the right instructor. Knowing the guy with whom I will do my retraining makes me look forward to it. He is a real pro with thousands of jet hours both in airlines and private GA on a long distance biz jet. Absolute pleasure flying with him and a steep but very useful learning courve.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I had a funny situation. The examiner wanted me to fly an ILS with AP so I did that (very difficult). Then he wanted me to hand fly a non precision approach to both demonstrate my hand flying skills and my ability to plan the descent rate with check altitudes. The airfield the exam took place (EDTY) has LPV approaches for both directions. In the GNS430W it is impossible to load a non precision RNAV approach when there is vertical guidance available so I did the usual load RNAV etc. under the examiner’s supervision. He was happy and I started to fly it by hand. Of course I had a glide slope indicator all the time because it is just impossible to turn off so I was reading the check altitudes and was spot on. The instructor was mightily impressed.

Peter,

With glass you don’t have to activate the autopilot to get the FD bars up. The autopilot in the G1000 is essentially always on you just have to activate a mode for the bars to appear. Would they stop you doing that?

EGTK Oxford

Same with the Avidyne EX5000 PFD and DFC90 Autopilot. The A/P is always on (can only be shut down by pulling the Circuit Breaker) and you only select the mode you want.

Only 41 more posts to go until we reach 500.
From re-reading the press release Mooney are intending to bring back the Acclaim S and Ovation series with “technical advances”.
I presume this has nothing to do with redesigning the airframe, but rather an upgrade of the G1000 panel and maybe Mogas approved engines?
What else could they readily do to take a technological step forward that wouldn’t count as normal upgrades, leaving out the diesel as it’s probably a few years down the line if ever?

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

MoGas? Forget it! Not with a big bore TCM engine.

That’s what I thought … they will try to build the same old plane and then they’ll make a big fuzz about how nicely they have “modernized” it, and everyone who knows aything will know it’s not true. Some inverstors will save a lot of taxes from their oter business and after the 3rd Aclaim or Ovation is sold they will close their doors once again …

Sign in to add your message