Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

My experience joining (and leaving) a group (syndicate)

alioth wrote:

if a Dripsy isn’t dripping oil, there ain’t no oil in it! (Incidentally, one of the reasons I have a Lycoming on my plane, the Auster looks fantastic with a Gipsy on it but I’d rather admire them on someone else’s plane thank you very much!)

I’m still laughing a while after I read it!! Thx!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Both groups I’m in have been fine, but I was careful to inspect the membership at least as closely as the aircraft.

Funnily enough I looked at a share in that particular 182 but was told I should look elsewhere due to group dynamics.

I was very relieved to hear that they bought you out @Parthurnax.

I’m in another 182 group nearby, which I think works because we all care about the plane, are decent human beings, and perhaps most importantly, could afford to be in a group or 1, 2 or 3 instead of the actual group of 5/6.

Shares available, but not if you think I’m being an a***hole by mentioning it :-)

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

@Antonio

Both the members who took on that role, volunteered.
One was already doing it when I joined, and continued for 10 years.
Coincidentally they both were MD’s in their own very very successful businesses.
I think the general story was that with their experience, doing the books/banking, managing the hours to be paid for, and dealing with insurance/ maintenance was to them, ‘very trivial’ and that they would have the office time to do it, and the time to ‘pop’ to the field whenever that may be required.

Also working fairly locally also helped.
From home, none of us were more than 15 mins away, but for work the rest of us were scattered around.
For me, I definitely would have struggled to keep it all in-check.
Maybe this is all unusual, but worked perfectly even as the membership changed slightly. Coincidentally, here’s another group on the field now that runs exactly the same way.
Everybody has to find their own way.
Owning is spectacularly expensive. I can see myself in a group again some day.

United Kingdom
63 Posts
Sign in to add your message