Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National diversity on EuroGA

U.S. living in Russia

Tököl LHTL

Norway (Oslo area), based out of a very central “brand new” airport under development.

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

What is interesting is that despite EuroGA being in English language, most of the people who turn up at our fly-ins are not from the UK. And most of those who live in the UK were (like me) not born there

It makes for a very diverse and interesting bunch of people at our meet-ups!

And lots of different perspectives here in the forum.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

UK for three generations, but all my great-grandparents were refugees: Lithuanian, Russian, Dutch (apparently of Portugese descent) who came here around 1910 I believe. Their children included one who flew in the RAF in the second world war – one of the 52,000 British air crew that died.(What an appallingly large number.) He was 17 I’m told, and the radio operator in a Stirling bomber that was shot down over France, where he is buried in a small church graveyard. My family is currently working with the authorities to get the inscription on his gravestone corrected.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

I took this DNA test at Genographic last fall. It’s interesting to see how the the different groups of the human race spread out from Africa, and where I am in the middle of this. Rather fascinationg actually-

It turns out my DNA consists of 80% “Scandinavian”, 11% “Great Britain and Ireland”, 4% “southern Europe”, 4% “Finland and Siberia” and 1.1% Neanderthal

IMO this means I am 80% Viking, 11% Yorkshire Hobbit, 4% Latino degos, 4% Siberian wildling and 1.1% Neanderthal. All in all I’m hardly Human at all

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Compared to most people on this thread my origin is extremely boring. I was born in Germany and lived here for all my life, only left the fatherland for holidays so far and never for more than four weeks in a row. My ancestry is, save for a few traces of Hungarian and English, also fully German. The Nazis would probably have considered me “Aryan”, given I’m tall, have blue/green eyes and blonde hair (turned dark-blonde in my teen years)

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Swiss now, originally (and still) Canadian. Going back 400 years German and Swiss, with a bit of England thrown in for spice.

LSZK, Switzerland

Very diverse members indeed!

British (for now at least) with paternal roots from the UK, maternal roots from India and Iran. Mother’s side of family went from India to Kenya to the UK. Family living all over the world. At one point both my parents were working in commercial aviation before I was born and my father until recenty – hence the interest in aviation.

I have lived in the UK, France and am now residing in Belgium. My work has taken me all over Europe and even beyond.

EBCI Charleroi, Belgium

French, living in Sweden.

ESMK, Sweden

LeSving wrote:

I took this DNA test at Genographic last fall.

Interesting, I have never heard of that! But I think in my case I can skip it because my family comes from Bavaria since as many generations as the records go back. Which means that my genes will be 50% Kelts and 50% Roman soldiers. No blonds and blue-eyed people in my family, abroad I get sometimes asked if I am French…
But maybe, out of curiosity, I will take this DNA test some time!

EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message