Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Abandoned aircraft - why do people do it?

I think maybe the owners don’t want to be found, in some cases.

One ramp mummy I know the owner is serving at Her Majesty’s pleasure, another owner ‘the brother in law’, via an internet bride arrangement, brought him to a premature end in a foreign land.

My own carriage was abandoned for half a dozen or so years, but in a hangar – it is now doing good service having been restored, pragmatically – hence various shades of Lock Haven yellow.

Super Cubs, Cessna 170/180/185, Stinson 108, Beaver – seem to be potential fixer uppers as they tend to achieve a reasonable amount of the investment made in them – but I doubt you would make a living out of it!

Also note that a simple new Super Cub clone – eg Top Cub retail new for $200k plus. The 185 is irreplaceable, and Beavers are resurrected as a matter of course.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Super Cubs, Cessna 170/180/185, Stinson 108, Beaver – seem to be potential fixer uppers as they tend to achieve a reasonable amount of the investment made in them – but I doubt you would make a living out of it!

Good work for divorced or never married airline pilots Enough money and time to do the job, no regular hours of employment, and no staff to bug them when they’re out of the office. Plus contacts to do the paperwork.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Apr 17:39

Good work for divorced or never married airline pilots

For the latter but hardly for the former, because they usually get too badly fleeced to fly

One ramp mummy I know the owner is serving at Her Majesty’s pleasure

Not a PA28 sitting in a secluded location at Biggin, by any chance? The oil filter eventually rusted through and oil started leaking, so the maintenance firm on whose apron it is parked changed the oil filter.

Last Edited by Peter at 22 Apr 17:41
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Three guys from the US came almost immediately. They spent a week getting the engines running (corrosion and all), and flew it to the US for some more fixing, and then sold it, probably made lots of money. Anyway, that was how they made a living, fixing up and selling abandoned airplanes.

I can imagine this happening. King Airs in particular are a fairly liquid commodity with value easily calculated based on component times etc. So if you calculate the investment needed and the value when done, the difference is apparently fairly reliable profit. Then if there’s a little extra labor fixing odds and ends, the numbers are big enough to absorb it. I learned a bit about this helping to get one for a payload R&D job. One interesting thing to me was to learn that some buyers actually prefer them with engines almost run out because the market valuation is the same as completely run out and the time remaining is ‘free’. The whole thing reminded me of real estate, a numbers game.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Apr 18:03

That’s how I got mine, Silvaire. People are terrified of over TBO engines and the values drop off a cliff. Doing the engines is no cheap feat, and the value added will probably not get all your money back. However, if your option is to finance it with done engines, or buy a run-out with cash and where the engines can be paid as you go, then the second option will almost always be cheaper. So the old aviation truth an “airplane that’s already done up will always be cheaper” isn’t always true.

Is any of the planes for sale or
I’m thinking about the old 150 or any in similar size?
In Sweden or close by would be nice

Sweden

Shouldn’t be too hard to find a ramp mummy 150/152. Problem is it will prob cost you more than buying a nice on in the end. Even if you can do all the work yourself.

I don’t know where this 150 is, but the planes piled up in those pics I posted in 2014 (this is a 4 year old thread) were in Spain, Barcelona LELL, and been rotting there for many years. Like a large % of GA in Spain, actually… The very best you will get out of that will be a “project” for several years of hard labour.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you’re into that sort of thing, there’s a good page on Facebook. “General Aviation Junkyard” has thousands of posts of aircraft in various stages of decay, some salvageable and some not. A lot of people seem to be actively trying to contact owners to save aircraft.

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

Thanks a lot for the help. i will look into that page.

Sweden
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message