Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Biggest things which stop people giving up flying?

I thought that the most recent move was to totally withdraw the “designated for Terrorism Act 2000” airports, and force the GAR for everything. Prior to that you could fly direct to the CTA from e.g. Bournemouth, with no long GAR notice. Probably Biggin Hill too.

How much GAR notice does Gloucester need, to/from the CTA? It would also be a huge detour for the C.I. from the south coast

Last Edited by Peter at 09 May 10:47
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Unfortunately I cannot fly to the Channel Islands / Ireland / IOM without giving 12hrs notice on the GAR form to the police. So I have to do a stop at Cherbourg, and file the GAR for the return flight with a 4hr notice. IOW, possible but tight to make a same-day decision.

To be clear, we also have to do the GAR so these decisions are made the day before (except mainland Europe of course)

But usually good enough for us…

Last Edited by PhilTheFlyer at 09 May 10:52
Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

I thought that the most recent move was to totally withdraw the “designated for Terrorism Act 2000” airports, and force the GAR for everything.

As far as I’ve always understood it, the GAR was always required. It’s just the notice period that varied. I’ve never given Gloucester any notice, I’ve filled out their GAR when I landed. No one has ever shouted at me for that. Ronaldsway has always needed a GAR too, just no notice period. These days though I’ll use onlinegar because it’s faster and easier.

How much GAR notice does Gloucester need, to/from the CTA? It would also be a huge detour for the C.I. from the south coast

It’s not a huge detour to the Isle of Man though!

From what I understand this new 4 hour notice is to do with customs and not Special Branch, so I presume Gloucester still doesn’t need notice. Since the Isle of Man is in the common customs area and therefore does not require customs (the Channel islands are not), unless someone shouts at me I’m going to just go on onlinegar and send the reports just before I leave the door of my house. In practical terms this would mean Gloucester would get about 4 hours notice once I’ve driven out to the airfield, preflighted, flown to Ronaldsway and put fuel in the plane.

Andreas IOM

Some of this is pragmatic. While I enjoy the purity of stick and rudder flying that I get with my aircraft (which is older than my father, having been built in 1945), many older aircraft are pretty economical to operate, and if it gets you out of the renting scene and into something you have more control and flexibility with it’s all good.

I agree completely. The C150 (at least in the US, and perhaps elsewhere) has become today’s version of the 1960s $1500 Cub. You can buy a C150 for about $20K and its a reliable and durable aircraft with enough equipment for VFR practicality in today’s environment. Maybe it’ll be a different kind of plane elsewhere in the world, or for a particular buyer, but I think ownership is important in building the commitment that takes people to the more rewarding ‘next level’ in their flying.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 May 14:38

Unfortunately I cannot fly to the Channel Islands / Ireland / IOM without giving 12hrs notice on the GAR form to the police.

Given the history, I can possibly understand this for Ireland, but why for CI / IOM?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

To jump back to an earlier point I don’t get why one would spend $1M on a small single like the jet prop when one could buy a King Air for the same money. For $1,5M you could buy a much newer King Air than most (any?) Jetprops; I know a 2005 C90B with about 1800hrs TTSN, fresh hot sections and fresh propeller overhauls. That really is an aeroplane to go anywhere in just about any weather, not so fast at about 230kts but roomy and built with real Beech quality

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

You also get all your money back minus cost of ownership: I helped buy a Super King Air with run out engines in 2000 for $1.2M USD, and I imagine its still worth $1.2M with a +/- adjustment for 2014 engine time.

Or even better – get an MU-2. Cheaper on fuel, can get in to airfields a King Air can only dream off, 5400hr TBO, cheaper to buy, built to last (almost no AD’s).

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 10 May 03:38

To buy is one bit, to maintain and fuel another.

I reckon a Jetprop has much less consumption than a Mu2 or a King Air, also only one engine and prop to keep happy. Big difference IMHO.

And to come back to the original thread title:

Flight suregons who force you into unreasonable diets and other things, even though you are within the gold plated EASA limits and keep threatening you with loss of medical if you do not comply. I know of several who insist that even for a Medical class 2 they want to see a BMI of below 30 despite the fact that 35 is the EASA limit and every other parameter is good… I know of several pilots here who have given up on this and stopped flying. I may become one of them in a few days as well (currently 33).

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 10 May 04:14
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I know of several who insist that even for a Medical class 2 they want to see a BMI of below 30 despite the fact that 35 is the EASA limit and every other parameter is good…

You can still choose your AME yourself. Mine doesn’t look too healthy, is overweight and a pilot himself. I think that is a good combination

Sign in to add your message