Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Childseat for toddlers for PA28 backseat seatbelts?

Hi,

I recently got an Arrow 2, with the “low” seatbacks and a single low seatbelt for the backseat. I am ready to take the family flying, and are looking for advice for a decent childseat – or other peoples experiences of using one – in the PA28 series? These days is all about ISO fix, or a 3-spoint seatbelt fix…. How are other people solving this problem?

/Lars

Edit … I mead toddlers off course … sigh. Not togglers. Long day …

[thread title fixed :) ]

Last Edited by Peter at 29 May 20:29
Last Edited by Larswa at 29 May 20:18
EKRK, Denmark

I use a standard car booster cushion with no back when I take my kids flying. It helps them to see out of windows and they are restrained by the aircraft lap belt. Probably not the safest system but you do not have many options unless you have 3 or 4 point restraint system. They flew for the first time at the age of 2 approximately so no experience with toddlers.

LKBE

I also used for years the single booster seat with no back. My youngest tends to nod off as soon as we rotate, slight issue with this he has no side restraint, and comically wallows around, with his brother propping him up. Aircraft seats tend to be a bit upright, which enhances this issue. We used to take a pillow/cushion, which would prop him at the window side, and his brothers arm, if he lent into the other side.

I tried for a while an actual car seat, but this is not easy, nor convenient, and also, gave issue with falling forward.

Best to stick with the booster, I think.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Good tips. thanks both of you.

What about headset and protecting the hearing of the little ones? I might wait a while before I give her her first taste of flight ….

EKRK, Denmark

A standard regular size headset has always worked for us. Both my kids are happy to be able to talk to us (though the younger one usually falls asleep within 20-30 mins).

LKBE

Hi,

Just wondering why not to include the back on the booster seat? Whilst it might slightly impede the childs view, it would be somewhat safer, no? I ask as I was thinking of transferring my daughters car seat (booster plus back) to the back of the plane. If to the RHS in front, then the shoulder part on the belt threads through part of the seat which forms a sort of shellaround the child.

Of course, this assumes that my wife will relent and let me take my daughter up, but gently working on that… Forward planning approach!

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

Hi our Britax seats fit in a PA28 no probs. I got a special kids size headset off eBay, has a small headband. When my daughter was younger we used the kids peltor ear defenders which are great, come in pink as well! We have always flown with wife and daughter in the back, you don’t want to be dealing with sickness or messing around in the front!

Now retired from forums best wishes

Thanks Balliol, sounds good and excellent point about sickness/messing around in front!

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

I took my 2 and 4 years old in a PA28 recently. Both were at the back with their mother in the RHS. They had normal heaset, and sat on a booster seat (no back).
They quickly understood how the microphone worked which I think was good so that they could communicate with us – I had the option of turning the rear passenger intercom off if needed.
I bought the booster seats to that they could see. The youngest slept both legs, and the oldest slept on the return leg. The downside of the booster is that there is no side restraint, so the kids slept sideways. They didn’t complain but I can’t imagine it was the most comfortable.
I may try to put the car seat in the plane for the 2 year old next time.

Fairoaks/EGTF

I take my girls (1 and 2,5 years old) flying. I fly a Mooney M20T with similar seats as the PA28, I wedge the Maxi-Cosi to the seat with the lap-belt, she travels face-foreward tho. For my youngest I use these as hearing protection. They are most likely to stay put, but I am wondering if any of these designers fly with their kids themselves. For the oldest I use a little pink headset I bought through @Peter_Mundy She loves talking to me while flying, she sits in the seat I also use in the car. I can fix it in place with just the lap-belt. We flew to Ameland (EHAL) for the weekend and usualy they fall a sleep five minutes after take-off, this time they checked out before take-off. Should you visit Ameland, call Nobel they’ll have a carierbike ready for you at the airport, you can ride the bike to the plane and load everything up.

EHTE, Netherlands
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message