Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sucker born every minute - stepping up to an old turbine.

Adam, I think your definition of cheap and that of the rest of us differs markedly…..

Maybe slow up until there is a denominator on the Turbo Commander cost per hour…..

By the way your toilet is in the same position as the one on the Mustang. The accepted wisdom on the CE510 is to never tell anyone it is there.

Last Edited by JasonC at 10 Feb 23:31
EGTK Oxford

Realistically, this will probably be my last plane anyway, JasonC. This is the limit of my finical capabilities.

AdamFrisch wrote:

Realistically, this will probably be my last plane anyway, JasonC.

Nah, Adam. Your next one will be a Super Cub ;-))

Hi Adam,

I flew a 690D for a while here in the UK and wrote the EASA type rating course for the 690 series. They are a fantastic machine, a little tricky to taxi though. The start sequence is very easy, just remember to check that the nose wheel steering is off (if fitted) for landing. The Dash 10 Garrett engine were also prone to high ITT temperatures during the start sequence depending on how they configured by the engineers. Once you get airborne they are lovely to fly.

Enjoy.

Jonathan

Jonathan
EGMD

172driver wrote:

With a legacy turbine engine.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

172driver wrote:
With a legacy turbine engine

United Kingdom

Hey Jonathan, thanks. I was contacted by another member who is looking into them. I know Marshall Business Aviation in Cambridge does type ratings on them, but do you know any other ones in Europe that does them? There’s quite a few of them in Sweden, Italy, Germany, Belgium – they must do their TR somewhere…

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 11 Feb 15:01

Hi Adam,

I set up the Approved Training Organisation at Cambridge with the other 690 pilot, as we found that there were no EASA ATOs anywhere in the world who could conduct the EASA type rating. The aircraft we flew was on the VP register so I needed to add the type to my EASA ATPL in order to satisfy EASA. We also ended up applying for approval to conduct the Type Rating Instructor course for the type. We used a TRE based in Belgium.

A lot of turbo commanders are flown on the USA register so don’t need a type rating. The other euro operators did get in contact with us, and I think were intending to use us when required. I don’t know what is written in the manuals now, but when I originally wrote the manual, if you had completed an insurance approved course in the states, we just conducted training as required, pass the written paper & licence skill test.

If you want anymore help please ask.

Jonathan

Jonathan
EGMD

AdamFrisch wrote:

I have a good friend who operates his 681

AdamFrisch wrote:

$550-650/hr

That is fantastic. Sure, I did not invest anything but I pay around 200-300 here to rent a small single engine piston.

Thanks, hope to see the plane someday ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

JasonC wrote:

cheap

In Aviation you can save a lot of money if you don’t fly ;) (just think of how much fuel you can save that way).

OT on
How much is a Mustang per hour? There is an airline in Austria who operate them commercially…they’ve been around for some time so it can’t be too bad.
OT off

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message