Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sucker born every minute - stepping up to an old turbine.

Congratulations. Wish you many trouble free flight hours.

I was wondering, do you have any opinion on the Merlins (especially late, IIIB/ IIIC)?

Now done 3 days of training in her. I’m all new to turbines, so that part has been the most steep. Systems and understanding how the power works etc. Thankfully having had a Commander before I didn’t need to learn the quirky nose wheel steering all over again, so that saved little bit of time.

But, she’s a big pussycat like all Commanders. Stalls straight ahead with just a shudder, lands slow and gentle and easy to fly on one engine.

Last session we did short fields, and I’m proud to say I can now get her stopped in under 2000ft. We flew into Corona, which has a 3200ft rwy and that was no problem performance-wise. For takeoff I would not want to be much shorter than 3000ft, though. At least not in the beginning like this. I’ve heard guys who are based at 2000ft strips, but that shave is a little too close for me.

An annoying LOC problem with my HSI has prevented me from finalizing training, as instructor wants me to do single engine ILS approach (which sounds sensible). But it’s getting fixed on Monday. Hopefully by next week I should be all signed off and back at home base. Can’t wait to go flying all by myself without having to “perform” and just enjoy it.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 19 Nov 05:53

@Martin

I was wondering, do you have any opinion on the Merlins (especially late, IIIB/ IIIC)?

I do not. But the two forum people I know that flies and owns them, they love them. They’re fast and fuel efficient. Have amazing 7.2psi differential, which means cabin is nice and low even up high. I know the IIIB or C has pretty much the longest range of any GA turboprop ever made. They can do 2600-3000nm non stop, which is insane. I know of a guy in Paraguay who flies his to Canada with just one stop. And they look cool – got that Ed Swearing design look.

Downside, as I’ve heard, is they need a lot of runway, have small wheels not suited for anything but tarmac and they have “sporty” single engine characteristics.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 19 Nov 06:12

Well, well, well!

Finally flew her back by myself tonight. By the time we were done, endorsed, signed off, refueled etc, it was dark. Hadn’t planned on my first solo flight to be at night, but what the heck, it’s all good. Might as well get my night currency in! Instrument and post lights work fine on panel, except for perhaps the most important: the main AI and HSI were dark as night. Internal light probably broken. It was clear VFR, so no problem, but still a good reminder not to launch into night IFR without fixing that….

She’s finally home and I’m finally allowed to fly her myself. Longest wait. I’m a very happy guy today!

Congratulations!!!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Hope you now have blue skies and many trouble free years in your fine bird.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Congratulations Adam! Honestly, there were times when I doubted it would ever get finished and your thread title might prove too real. But now do enjoy and keep the stories coming :)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Thanks for sharing Adam and keep the stories & pix coming !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Congrats, Adam, welcome home!

Thank you! Now, does anyone have $70K to borrow?

Sign in to add your message