Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sucker born every minute - stepping up to an old turbine.

An airplane with a leaky pressure vessel isn’t unairworthy under EASA either. Otherwise you’d need a ferry permit to bring it to maintenance. None of the pressurized spam cans in service (think P210) make their design pressure differential…

AdamFrisch wrote:

That’s why I think the TBM won’t do well long term. It’s too expensive for what it can actually do, when the PC12 will do everything better except go faster.

Yes, the Golf can do everything that the Porsche 911 can do, except go faster. So probably the 911 is going to be replaced by the Golf… Sorry, these planes are so different in who they target that they hardly compete.

AdamFrisch wrote:

As the world becomes more GA unfriendly, being able to land on short strips out of the grasps of Signature, security maniacs, jobsworths, etc will become more important. The future belongs to rugged planes, like the PC12, PC24, Turbo Commanders, Caravans etc, not to dainty things that need a lot of support, lots of ballroom smooth tarmac etc

Possible. Numbers with planes like the PC12 and similar planes would indicate that you are right in many regards.

Certainly in Europe, GA is moving away as much as possible from larger airports into smaller private airstrips. However, as there are significant problems there such as customs/immigration facilities e.t.c. this presents problems which forces GA back onto larger airports often enough.

AdamFrisch wrote:

That’s why I think the TBM won’t do well long term. It’s too expensive for what it can actually do, when the PC12 will do everything better except go faster.

These are massively different airframes in terms of what they can do and what they are designed for. The PC12 is well established in one market segment, the TBM in another. I see no relation between the two, the clientele is different and also the cost is massively different.

For my own travel needs I would prefer the TBM over the two, but rationally I’d have to say the PC12 offers a lot more possibilities. I think some users show this brutally such as the PC12 at Locher Airstrip in Italy, which while it’s operation is uncomfortable to watch for many shows brutally what this plane is capable of. Likewise, I am impressed about it’s range and payload.

I think the TBM is the best variant of the personal transports which are fast, have 4-6 seats and immense range.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

there are significant problems there such as customs/immigration facilities e.t.c. this presents problems which forces GA back onto larger airports often enough.

Especially as the bigger airports lobby like hell to prevent the smaller ones becoming useful e.g. Biggin Hill blocking every improvement at Redhill.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Plane finally back home. Not for long, have some avionics things to take care of still and some pressurization stuff still outstanding (taking her to a service centre, no more with my previous guy who has been wasting a lot of my time and not been honest).

Despite all the stuff still needing attention weighing on my mind and wallet, it felt great to be flying again. She really flies nice. Beautiful smooth day, too. Even the landings were OK. Hauled ass at 260kts GS at 15000ft.

After landing had opportunity to test my AC Air T1.5 tug for the first time to get her back in the hangar. Love this little thing. So glad I got the Lazy Susan model, or otherwise it wouldn’t have worked. Did fine over the hangar door tracks, too. But holy moly is it a tight fit… I’d measured it many times, but today I didn’t think she’d fit. Got about 3" of space… It’s a hangar rash waiting to happen, though. Will have to take it slow…

Cleaning before the arrival of its seldom seen guest..

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 30 Mar 23:56

Can you paint lines on the floor so you know where to go/stop? Or hang tennis balls from the roof like they do in garages?

United States

redRover wrote:

Can you paint lines on the floor so you know where to go/stop? Or hang tennis balls from the roof like they do in garages?

Yes, I will paint lines – it’s on the list to do. I’ll also have to bolt some L-profiles or chocks into the concrete so she can’t roll any further back.

Wonderful Adam, congratulations! I wish you many safe and enjoyable flights.
Indeed, bolting (or glueing) chocks onto the concrete is the way to go, completely fool proof. Have some wide chocks made, laterally you probably have more wiggle room.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Amazing, Adam. I especially like the lowered flap to avoid the hangar corner That will have to go on your shutdown checklist

97.65% of European pilots, myself included, would give their arm for a hangar like that, especially if you can tinker with the plane inside it.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

especially if you can tinker with the plane inside it.

“Tinker” ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Tinker – you can google it.

You can easily save thousands by having a hangar where maintenance is permitted.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message