Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Windy.com - an amazing wind and weather visualisation site

hazek wrote:

Ah yeah you got me there, you do need to learn how to read this to make use of it. But being a pilot is not easily “learned” either so maybe better dismiss that as well yeah?

As a professional pilot you have to priorities, and for the majority of us, we would not waste time on going “in-depth” behind how weather data is derived, in day-to-day ops. Learning and understanding is one thing. Gathering information and making decisions is another. Simple as that.

aart wrote:

I presume you mean a deteriorating precision of TAFs in Portugal. What causes that? I haven’t noted it here.

I was mostly referring to Portugal, I think! That being said, I´ve only really been using the local met services (TAFs etc.) the last 3-4 years, so that wouldn´t really qualify for evaluating deterioration over time. I suppose, I was comparing general (“international”) quality vs. local quality, so perhaps it´s not actually a deterioration, but rather local quality that is the core issue. When I think more about it, it´s not like I´ve notice any particular deterioration of international standards. Good point!

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

On Windy vs local forecast (TAF) topic and related to my recent (Wednesday) flight to LFLP, TAF for LSGG issued on Tuesday morning (30 hours, covering Wednesday morning) was pretty much constant with practically no changes throughout the day with a bit of worsening on Wednesday morning. It was quite accurate unlike Windy being optimistic and giving sunny weather. Since LFLP has only short TAF not covering next day, I tended to trust (hope) Windy is correct until I faced more-less same TAF for LSGG and LFLP on Wednesday morning.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Did all the wx models agree?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@peter

Jez… How many, and which?, other wx models do you guys reference?

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Yes. And according to models that forecast fog/low clouds/cloud bases, everything was supposed to be partially sunny on Wednesday and absolutely sunny on Thursday and Friday. Yet we didn’t see the sun since we dived into clouds for landing until we emerged from clouds after takeoff.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Hi aviators

Windy.com is planning to stop the plugins.

If you find www.windy.com/plugins useful, please post here: https://community.windy.com/topic/30927 … natainable,
and ask for support for the plugins to be continue, or for the specific plugin to be incorporated in the core windy program.

I wrote the flight planner plugin (www.windy.com/plugins/windy-plugin-fp).

Thanks!

South Africa

rittels wrote:

Windy.com is planning to stop the plugins.

Is there a specific reason why they want to do that? Or it’s just they decided there no benefit for them in supporting plugins.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I had a look at them. Surprised to see Skew-T and Sounding are plugins.

Administrator

Emir wrote:

Is there a specific reason why they want to do that?

They are planning to restructure the client code, which makes it difficult to support the external plugins.

South Africa
Sign in to add your message