Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Photos of your planes

Yes, well spotted BeechBaby, the scheme is the Thompson Airways colour scheme exactly as used on their airliners before their “brand refresh” about two years ago. I get asked about it quite a bit when I go flying. Some people know more about my plane’s history than me. Thompson are part of TUI of course, and the plane’s registration says “Go Tui”. I understand that the plane didn’t ever belong to Tui but instead used to belong to the Thompson Flying Club (TFC), but G-OTUI’s registration history lists no connection with Tui or with Thompson or a flying club, just individuals as past owners, so I’m confused about that.

TFC disassociated from Tui some time ago and sold off the planes (after first removing the Tui logo from the tail fin) and there is a flying club that still runs the balance of the small TFC fleet (all PA28s I think) in the same colour scheme. It calls itself The Azure Flying Club. My plane was not ever owned by Azure and instead has passed through a few private owners since TFC closed down. However, Azure use a picture of the whole TFC fleet on their website which includes my plane!

I love the colour and the scheme. There are one or two marks that need some touching up and I want to be able to identify the colour code. The plane doesn’t list it on a plaque. Does anyone know how I can get matching paint?

Howard

Last Edited by Howard at 03 May 09:32
Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Does anyone know how I can get matching paint?

I good painter can scan the existing paint to match it..

Last Edited by Vref at 03 May 10:04
EBST

Vref, my guess would be that even using a scanner one would have difficulty, but I’ll try that. Thank you.

A scanner can sometimes be very precise, but it’s not always. A lot depends on the person a) using the scanner and b) mixing the paint. Many times you have to modify the result a bit to get a perfect match. It is possible to have a perfect match, but not every aircraft /car paint shop can do it.

OMG, I finally found the colour code through Googling…. It’s Pantone 284 CV

Link

You can buy a precise colour chart (or better still the “key ring” type tab thingy) on Ebay for about 30 quid, but good luck finding a paint shop which will do an exact match.

It is possible – I recall getting Jawel Paints doing it for car paints (base plus 2K lacquer – nasty isocyanate stuff) but

• it needs to be somebody good
  • the old paint will have faded a long way from the colour chart
  • most aerosol custom colour mixers can’t do a decent job
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think that won’t help you too much. Paints fade over time, so yours is probably going to be quite far off the original tone.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Oh dear, I thought I had sorted it….. I’ll ask a paint shop what to do.

Thanks everyone.

Our plane is flown regularly by staff of the German publication Aerokurier so you may encounter G-JOBS when browsing this mag

EDLN and EDKB

You just need a good pro – he will make a test, and then add whatever is needed. It is done all the time with expensive cars.

Sign in to add your message