Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Funny ATC Comments

Avweb do a funny ATC story each week. I haven’t read any for a few weeks, and looking back the past few weeks, I found two very funny ones, that I hadn’t heard before, and thought I’d share :)

Years ago, I was a 727 first officer and was flying with Captain Chester Hector. We were eventually going to cross an intersection called Hector.

I couldn’t resist. I got on the radio and asked:

“This is United 123. Captain Chester Hector requests a vector direct to Hector.”

Of course, the controller came right back and said:

“Roger dodger. Chester Hector is cleared direct to Hector.”

37 Years with the airline, and only once have I ever had that coincidence. It was a memorable moment for me at least.

Second one:

Saturday, December 6, approximately 18:00 local time, I am sitting on the ramp at KTMB waiting on an IFR clearance. Here is the conversation I hear:

N1234:
“Tamiami Ground, N1234 at T hangar, ready for taxi.”

KTMB Ground:
“N1234, I don’t see you. Taxi up to and hold short of taxiway E.”

[pause]

KTMB Ground:
“N1234, I see you now. Confirm you are a flight of two.”

N1234:
“Affirmative. I am a flight of two.”

KTMB Ground:
“N1234, taxi E to 9R; cleared to cross 31.”

N1234:
“N1234 taxiing E to 9R. Cleared to cross 31.”

KTMB Ground:
“N1234, I confirm you are a flight of two.”

N1234:
“Affirmative. I am a flight of two.”

KTMB Ground:
“N1234, I only see one of you.”

N1234:
“Of course you only see one. My cabin windows are tinted. There are two of us in here.”

KTMB Ground:
“N1234, ‘a flight of two’ means there are two aircraft.”

N1234:
“How could I fly two planes?”

KTMB Ground:
“N1234, ‘a flight of two’ means there are two aircraft and one pilot is talking for both aircraft.”

N1234:
“No. There is just my plane, with two people inside.”

KTMB Ground:
“N1234, you should have filed ‘two souls on board’ and not put ‘flight of two’ in the remarks. I will adjust your flight plan.”

N1234:
“Sorry. Thanks.”

You can find them each week here.
Link

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 20 Jan 13:37
EIWT Weston, Ireland

I have one from years ago:

In Nuremberg airport a Lufthansa 737 to Frankfurt had an aborted take-off due to missing power on the left engine.
Michael Schumacher had just started at Ferrari with many engine problems.
So they made a second attempt and couldn’t get enough power.

LH: Request taxi back to the ramp, power just 65% on the left engine
TWR: Just like Michael Schumacher, engine problems and quit on the 2nd lap. Taxi back to the ramp via A and N1….

United Kingdom

A six-digit intersection?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Could have been a VOR

London area

real Audio from captain cool :-)

EDAZ

For a vector to Hector contact the sector director

(Unfriendly) german GND Controller to Captain of BA Jet that stopped on taxiway: “Speedbird xyz, why do you stop, is this your first visit to Frankfurt”?

“Negative, i was here before, 1944, but we didn’t land”

(Unfriendly) german GND Controller to Captain of BA Jet that stopped on taxiway: “Speedbird xyz, why do you stop, is this your first visit to Frankfurt”?

“Negative, i was here before, 1944, but we didn’t land”
This one comes up invariably when people talk about funny ATC!
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Years ago when I was based at London Stansted, on dep and just been handed over to radar, a
D reg jet came on frequency and after introducing himself ATC said to him ’we understand the you have a dog on board, he said yes, ATC said we cant accept animals at Stansted, you need to go to Gatwick.

He was handed over to the next controller presumably to divert to Gatwick. 5 minutes later he was back on the Stansted frequency ’ we no longer have a dog on board’.

We never did find out what happened to the poor dog!

yawn

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message