Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying night vfr in the USA with a FAA PPL based on a JAA licence.

Thus, you must have gained your instrument rating on your “61.75” FAA pilot certificate after passing the FAA’s “Instrument – Aircaft” knowledge test, followed by a practical flight test with an FAA examiner (as per (c) above).

Well, yes, of course. Which I think is a cleaner way to fly IR on a 61.75 if you are able to get it done.

EGTK Oxford

ANTEK,

Why do you draw the conclusion your Australian IR needs to be current for a 61.75 PPL IR issued on paragraph b? IANAL but understand the 61.75 is valid or not in an N-reg in the US based solely on FAA currency and a requirement the underlying licence has not expired, been renumbered, suspended or revoked.

EGTF

Why do you draw the conclusion your Australian IR needs to be current for a 61.75 PPL IR issued on paragraph b? IANAL but understand the 61.75 is valid or not in an N-reg in the US based solely on FAA currency and a requirement the underlying licence has not expired, been renumbered, suspended or revoked.

I agree somewhat. If the IR is expired on the Australian licence due to a lack of an annual IR check ride, I don't think it is valid on the FAA. But Australian currency rules probably don't matter to the FAA. For example, they don't care about a BFR not having taken place on the local licence so long as the licence itself remains valid and their own BFR has occured.

In other words, whether you could exercise the privileges in Australia are not their concern, just that it remains valid.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC,

Does an Australian Ir rating actually expire (as in is no longer a validate rating and must be replaced with a newly issued rating - like a JAA 5 year licence) or is it just that it is not valid without an annual formal check ride?

Also, having re-read 61.75, I can't actually find any statement about the continuing validity of the foreign licence. All of the paragraphs are about what must be true on the day the US licence is issued, with the exception of g (which requires the foreign licence to be physically with you when flying on the 61.75 licence).

Point e seems to explicitly, determine that only US law applies to the issued 61.75 - so if your Australian IR says ILS approach only, then this is a permanent restriction on your 61.75 licence, but FAA only rather than CAA+FAA currency requirements apply to keeping the licence valid and current. As a note the ILSs only restriction can only be removed by having the Aus. licence changed and the 61.75 reissued based on the new licence (from the FAA example on having night flight restriction removed)

EGTF
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message