Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Winter operations / lowest temperature for starting / preheating methods (merged)

Yesterday i started my IO-550N in -5C after preheating it for 30 minutes with my new “Aerotherm Alien X turbo” … 2 blades!

The car engine comparison does give some food for thought, and all the explanations about techniques applied to allow for reduced clearances are very interesting.

That said people in the northern regions do have some second thoughts about starting their engines in cold weather, which is why most cars’ engines in those regions are fitted with a heating element in the oil sump to facilitate cranking (saves the battery and starter) and reduce oil viscosity (improves lubrication, reduces engine wear). I suppose starting a cold soaked car engine will still be subject to more wear than the same engine being started at higher temperatures, but that the car engine design pushes back the temperature limits?

LFPT, LFPN

Northern cars aren’t equipped with sump heating but rather with something a bit more elaborate like this:

http://www.eberspacher.com/products/fuel-operated-heaters/water-heating.html

(I have one and in winter it’s absolutely fantastic).

The aviation engineers have solved the problem by going for a lighter air-cooled engine, letting the consumer with a choice between either carrying a 30kg 3kW generator in the hold to power the (vastly inefficient) electric engine heater (thereby negating the weight gain of the engine) or not flying when it’s cold.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 06 Feb 13:37

Is that the option which Volvo offer where you can switch on the heating with a text message, or on a timer say 2hrs before you drive to work each day? It’s a petrol burning heater.

I’ve seen it on a 4×4. It’s very popular in Germany because relatively many “wealthy” people there live in flats and don’t have a garage. Whereas here in the UK, a garage, especially one attached to the house, is the pinnacle of luxury living, and as soon as you get more than 2 quid you try to get your own house with that

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know someone who lives in Northern Canada, who tells me that most cars there have a remote control for starting, so that you can start the car from inside your home, and let it warm up before getting in.

He says that in the worst of winter, they cars run 24 hours a day, because if they let them stop, they won’t be able to re-start until spring.

I’ve no idea how true that is though…

EIWT Weston, Ireland

“Is that the option which Volvo offer where you can switch on the heating with a text message, or on a timer say 2hrs before you drive to work each day?”

Yep. I don’t have the text message version, just timer and instant start. You just set the time when you want it to be ready to use, and the software figures out on its own when it has to start and for how long depending on ambient temp. Saves you from having to clear frosted windscreens as well.

I think the main reason more people have these Eberspächer/Webasto heaters in cars over here is that it can actually get cold in Winter here as opposed to the UK where the seasons manifest themselves in different rain temperatures . However, their main purpose is not to help the car start the engine, it’s to avoid having to clear the windows of the rime ice and freeze your a$$ off every morning. My last 3 cars all had it but I rarely ever used it.

The old Russian Kamaz trucks had a much better method: you would start a little wood fire under the car to bring the engine to operating temperature.

He says that in the worst of winter, they cars run 24 hours a day, because if they let them stop, they won’t be able to re-start until spring.

That’s especially common for heavy machinery, quarry dumpers and the like, and not only because of low temperatures – a diesel engine worn out to low compression will keep happily running for months non-stop, but will no longer restart once stopped.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

you would start a little wood fire under the car

Sounds great. Alas, many people (especially in the so-called civilised world) will refuse this method for lack of a remote command. Sic transit gloria mundi…

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

will refuse this method for lack of a remote command

It’s not difficult to start a fire with a text message Anybody who can solder can do it, but maybe best not discussed further…!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message