Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What do you expect from a modern aircraft?

The 2000nm+ types – what engines are they, what are the tank capacities, and at what % of max rated HP are the ranges obtained?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The M20R Ovation has a continental IO550 (normally aspirated). I know one owner with one – who is very happy with it!

Monroy (who produce the long range tank upgrade) claim the Ovation can do 170KTAS at FL180, burning 8.5GPH… The tank has about 120 gallons.

EGEO

PP asked about Thermawing.

Yesterday we flew from Malta to Scotland in a Columbia 400. This can be a challenging trip at this time of year. Yesterday there was a warm front sector in the Med and Southern France with layered stratus/nimbostratus, and a cold front with squalls across Northern France and the Southern UK. Headwinds (65 kts at FL200) kept us low all the way at around FL120 but we were able to stay between layers most of the time. When necessary we used the Thermawing system (plus the hot prop) and its operation was flawless. A few seconds after activation, any ice slides back and is gone. It is an anti/de-ice system which can be left on all the time in appropriate conditions. Although on the C400 it is non-FIKI, it enables a climb into the clear and removes any concern about descending back into the clag for the approach – just push the button and it takes care of itself with no operating cost or fluid to worry about. For a trip like this, it was invaluable.

And note to file: The GRAMET charts, via EuroGA Autorouter, proved to be spot-on for cloud layers and wind. A great tool for planning the correct level.

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

Hello Peter,

the Ovation 3 has a 310 hp Continental IO-550-G Engine. Fuel Capacity Standard is 100 USG, Fuel Capacity Optional is 128 USG.

I don’t have a POH for the latest version, only for the Ovation 2 GX, which has the same engine, but rated to 280 hp. Standard Fuel is 89 USG there, Optional Fuel with the Monroy Tanks is 128 USG. Some Ovations seem to have 102 USG Tanks. I ignored those for the moment as they are in between.

Played with Excel a bit this morning and found the following figures:

Max range is achieved at between 12’000 and 16’000 ft @ 45% power. This will achieve about 165 kts TAS @ 8.4 GPH. Range with standard fuel 89USG is 1537 NM / 9 hours, with Long Range Fuel 2327 NM / 14 hours. This includes Taxi, Climb and Descent and 45 minutes at 45% Reserve.

At 55% and 10.4 GPH, the maximum range is achieved at 12000 ft with 1352 NM (Std) respectively 2005 NM (LR). TAS at 12000 ft will be 174 kts.

At 65% and 12.4 GPH, the maximum range is achived at 10’000 ft (because that is the highest level 65% is available at) and will result in 1200 NM / 1776 NM @ 185 kts.

At 75% and 14.5 GPH at 6000 ft, the Ovation can reach its top speed of approximately 190 kts and will fly 1032 NM / 1530 NM.

At full fuel, the Ovation 2 can carry 276 kgs of payload with standard tanks, 170 kgs of payload with 128 USG long range tanks using the basic empty weight given in the example manual of 1009 kgs. I’d bet that the actual planes will be heavier, so payload will decrease. Maybe Shorrick can provide a more realistic figure.

If you load 4 people @ 80 kg plus 10 kg baggage each, you can load the Ovation with 58.4 USG of fuel, which will give it a range of between 642 NM (75%@6000 ft) and 950NM(45%). A family with 2 80kg adults and 2 40 kg kids plus 40 kg baggage can load 88 USG and do around 1000 to 1500 NM. 2 Adults with 40 kgs of bags can load 117 USG and do between 1400 and 2100 NM.

So basically, the Ovation is an extremely versatile traveller as well as great in areas where Avgas is sparse.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 03 Mar 08:23
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

NIL: My Lancair Columbia 300 does everything an Ovation does, and then some, with the gear down & welded, 2 large doors& a bigger cabin !

And as NeilC pointed out, the resolutely modern Therma-wing is a reality on the Columbia/Corvalis/TTx .

Twenty-First Century GA Tech at it’s finest !

Last Edited by Michael at 03 Mar 08:35
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

@NeilC : thanks for the feedback
nowaday we only read about TKS and TKS FIKI but this Thermal wing looks pretty effective !

not a lot of TCs or STCs though

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Max range is achieved at between 12’000 and 16’000 ft @ 45% power. This will achieve about 165 kts TAS @ 8.4 GPH. Range with standard fuel 89USG is 1537 NM / 9 hours, with Long Range Fuel 2327 NM / 14 hours. This includes Taxi, Climb and Descent and 45 minutes at 45% Reserve.

It’s amazing what a turbo does when combined with 45% power

At 8.4GPH (FL150, say) I would be doing a TAS of 140kt which is about 1400nm. If I had 128USG of fuel it would be 2100nm.

Administrator

Ovation is non-turbo.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A big motor then

Administrator

Peter,

err, the Ovation has no turbo. The Acclaim is the Turbo version. That one is a good 50 knots faster (up to 240 knots cruise) but has a maximum range of about 1400 NM (standard) to 1800 NM (Long Range).

Funny thing if you start to work with spreadsheets and performance. Decided to copy the sheet and put my M20C figures inside, quite happy with the result too. (The M20C POH is really oldfashioned, so re-organizing the data can be quite helpful).

At 75% and 7500 ft, the “C” will do 615 NM @ 10.8 GPH, 150 kt, up to 720 NM @ 55% and 8.4 GPH @ 15000 ft. With Monroy Tanks the range would basically double from 1104 NM to 1400 NM. With full fuel, it can carry 3 people with 10 kgs of bags each. Not too shabby for a 50 year old airplane.

Michael,

the Columbia 300 has the same range and speed as the Ovation? Wow. I really did not know that, that is quite a surprise.(I suppose you refer to the standard tank variant? I am not aware of any long range options in the Columbia. I also recall that the one Columbia taking part in the round the world trip of PnF had to turn back in Alaska as it did not have the range to fly direct to Japan from there, while a Monroy Mooney Encore was the only Avgas plane which managed. )

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 03 Mar 09:47
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message