Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Good to go (Orkneys)

We are good to go on the 26th. Unst here we come. All my paper work is sorted, I can do no more and it is now in the hands of the weather gods. SO, if anyone has a direct line to the weather gods, would you give them a buzz and put in a good word for us please. Ta. The first beer is on me for anyone that can organise this. Hehehe.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

Are you aware Orkney Council Airfields are free for noncommercial landings – but PPR is essential, as a CAA operating condition? (Not HIAL airfields.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Thanks for the heads up on the free landings. I did not know that and cant remember if I paid landing fees at Kirkwall when we did that trip way back when. Having said that, I don’t mind paying landing fees, even at a well known airfield down South.

Shoreham

Dundee, Inverness, Wick, (on mainland) and Kirkwall and Sumburgh, are HIAL and charge. Orkney Council operate the smaller is!and airfields. Lambholm is a private but welcoming farm strip. Shetland is a separate Council and I don’t know the situation.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Indeed. Add a stop at Lamb Holm.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 May 20:35
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks for the info and photos. Pictures look great.

Shoreham

The chapel is a converted Nissan hut, modified by WW2 Italian P of Ws.
It was being restored by a professional art restorer, from Italy, last month.
There is still a little oil coming from HMS Royal Oak, battleship sunk in Scap Flow.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Nissan hut :-)

That’s a Nissen hut!

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 22 May 19:21
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message