Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pilot-controlled lighting in Europe!

gallois wrote:

there are joining instructions and at night they are the same as during the day

I’d presume, not under IFR.

EGKR, United Kingdom

UdoR wrote:

Just stumbled over it because I read it in the AIP of a French field I want to approach(not at night, but I wasn’t aware that this could be an option).

I am going to do that tomorrow from Belgium departure at sunset to LFQB midnight IFR arrival I park overnight stay in the Tulip hotel 400 meters and fly back Sunday morning to Belgium after a good French breakfast. Lighting PCL check AIP AD 2 (STAP/PLC) 3 clicks brightness 2/4 5 clicks 4/4 7 clicks OFF no one will be there when I land…..I sent an email to the airport and got a very friendly answer that PCL is operational. You also receive the code to leave the airport ….

Last Edited by Vref at 12 Apr 12:17
EBST

I would ALWAYS contact the airport ATSU before heading off on a night flight to a (then) unattended aerodrome.

And please keep in mind that at most French airports, runway lighting costs between 35 and 60 Euro extra per movement.

PCL is by no way unique to France. All of Scandivania including Denmark has it, too. Plus a few places in Eastern Europe, I believe.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

PCL is also available in Switzerland, but it’s AFAIK not documented in official sources. In Buochs (LSZC) for example, PCL is connected with the road barriers, which requires a mandatory instruction and sign-off. Nothing useful for guests, unfortunately. Other Swiss aerodromes use a PCL system to close barriers for public road crossings as well, but don’t have runway and/or PAPI lights like Buochs.

Last Edited by Frans at 12 Apr 13:01
Switzerland

Fairoaks EGTF also has PCL. It’s a licensed airfield – not sure what the position was in 2013 (re. the posts above indicating that PCL is not possible at licensed airfields in the UK), but it has been there since at least 2021 (when I arrived at the airfield). There is now a small surcharge for after hours arrivals after sunset.

EGTF, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

35 and 60 Euro extra per movement.

I understand its time based when I asked….

EBST

boscomantico wrote:

ALWAYS contact the airport ATSU

Good tip but there is no issue I called, approach is handled by Paris

EBST

@YakovD wrote:-
I’d presume, not under IFR.

I don’t see why the circle to land rule for IFR without ATS would be any different at night to during the day.

France

Nightlight executed to LFQB, excellent service from the airport. Below FL070 uncontrolled airspace Paris control releases you for the self approach, basically you can do what you want. I went for some holdings and (missed) LPV approach. 35 euro for the PCL. Finding the parking spot in the pitch dark was a bit difficult. Taxi lights available to the apron. PCL works excellent. Next time I do this I will dim the RWY lights this will reduce the glare experiencing during flaring…RWY 17 goes downhill so you better make sure your brakes work well…! Finding the exit in the dark on foot was the most difficult:-)

Last Edited by Vref at 15 Apr 07:40
EBST
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message