Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you sometimes get a complete brain fart when flying?

What’s the fifth amendment? ;-)

Flyer59 wrote:

What’s the fifth amendment? ;-)

Refusing to testify on the grounds that one might incriminate oneself.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 01 Nov 22:02
LFPT, LFPN

I once entered downwind for the reciprocal of the runway I was supposed to enter downwind.

Like all of these kind of events, it never happens at a sleepy uncontrolled airport where there’s no one but you around. No, it happened at Carlisle and there were at least half a dozen aircraft on frequency to hear ATC wonder out loud if I had entered downwind for the wrong runway!

Andreas IOM

On my first and only flight in an ancient seneca i switched off the mags of the right engine instead of the fuel pumps. The guard that was meant to orevent this was loose and hence not protecting the switches properly. Fortunately i re-enganged my brain before going into automatic feathering drills (it happened after leveling off at 2,000 ft) and quickly switched them back on.

Biggin Hill

lenthamen wrote:

Close to this switch is the Engine Master switch.

Do not know if this has been mentioned on this forum before. That same mistake killed an instructor and a student in Russia.
Page 79: http://mak.ru/russian/investigations/2014/report_ra-01726.pdf

Peter wrote:

the lowest VS value I could get was zero

Maybe you could use VS zero as a mode in turbulent conditions?

Last Edited by Snoopy at 02 Nov 03:27
always learning
LO__, Austria

Cobalt wrote:

and quickly switched them back on.

You’re lucky no unburnt fuel exploded in the exhaust stack…

Last Edited by Aviathor at 02 Nov 07:04
LFPT, LFPN

Maybe you could use VS zero as a mode in turbulent conditions?

One would actually use the PIT mode for that. It maintains pitch and the ROL mode holds wings level. So you have no altitude hold and no heading hold but the plane should remain the right way up.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This really shows that we have the ‘creme de la creme’ of pilots on this forum. Just a few % had brain farts!
I’ll try to keep an eye on it and will report back if I ever have one. I may have had a few in the past, but since my memory is failing me more and more..

Last Edited by aart at 02 Nov 09:58
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Peter wrote:

One would actually use the PIT mode for that.

Even better.

To ad a mistake of my own to this topic, I once inadvertently shut off an engine in a DA42 during the fuel selector crossfeed test on the ground. Qualifying as a true BF as you have to open an interlock to move the fuel selector all the way to the off position.

always learning
LO__, Austria

On my first and only flight in an ancient seneca i switched off the mags of the right engine instead of the fuel pumps.

A CAA examiner delighted in doing this in his role as a newbie multi student, on FI Multi initial check rides.

Ideally we need a voting list to see how many items we have ticked. The longer I fly the more I become attached to the ACME School of Flying use of checklists.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message