Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GINFO

Is there a legislative requirement for the world and his dog to be able to search the national registry and find out the owner's name and address of a particular aircraft? If so, can someone point me in the direction where I can find that requirement please?

Having recently acquired a flying machine, I'm concerned that my personal details will be suddenly made public, when I normally take reasonable steps to protect them. I understand why certain bodies (airports in particular) find the aircraft-registration-to-postal-address facility very handy but that doesn't necessarily mean the info should be freely available to everyone. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a great deal to hide. I just like to protect my identity. This paranoia probably stems from my day job, which is information security. But just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me :)

Fairoaks, United Kingdom

When I was on G-reg I owned the plane via a limited company and gave the address of the registered office, which was my accountant. That way my name didn't appear at all.

Obviously anybody doing a company search can find out the company director(s) for ~ £5.

The downside was that all the "highly informative learned publications" emitted by the UK CAA (mainly slagging off GPS in those days) also got mailed to the accountant I phoned them up but was unable to stop it.

I don't like it either, because if you see G-XXXX on some Greek island you know the owner is PROB99 away from home for a while and it's a great time to check out his wife's jewellery collection.

Going N-reg gets around this pretty well (as would a G-reg in a trust) but you get the hassle of disorganised airports (of which there are plenty) sending paperwork to whatever address they can find.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They even put the ICAO 24 bit aircraft address there, so I could look it up, change the SSR code to theirs and fly over Heathrow non radio!

Norman
United Kingdom

It's hard to believe they publish the 24-bit code.

One could do some absolutely stunning world-class pranks with that info, which even I won't write about openly in case some people get "ideas".

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I got my 24bit code from GINFO to program my transponder. Whereelse would u get it from

United Kingdom

Jonny Walker is my guest

United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message