Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why is Customs / Immigration such a job creation scheme?

If there’s a “light” Government somewhere in the EU, I would love to know where it is.

Estonia? That’s the reputation anyway. It’s the only EU government that seems to get much positive press outside of the EU in relation to its efficiency.

I had a girlfriend who worked for the Slovenian national government (foreign service or equivalent) from the 90s to today. Apparently what started lean and mean and fairly effective (I mean the Slovenan national government ) did not stay that way as Slovenia became more and more immersed in the EU. She got very tired of taking trips to Brussels.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Aug 13:57

Finners wrote:

If there’s a “light” Government somewhere in the EU, I would love to know where it is.

We’re talking about different things. A “fat” government doesn’t necessarily mean a “job creation scheme”. That would imply that most things a government do is pointless. I certainly know that there are some political views that a minimal government is desirable, but that still doesn’t mean that the things the government does is pointless – just that they shouldn’t be done by the government.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

To tell you the truth, every time some a big wig comes to Budapest half the city is snarled up. Police everywhere motorcades 4-6 police motorcycles 3-4 police cars. It happens on a regular basis. Its happening all over Europe. Its all pompous egotistical BS. Here I am look at me. Im important! GMAFB its govt speak.

Why the hell cant they use Skype? Like the rest of us. Perhaps they are afraid of NSA.

With all this inefficiency, with every country doing the same thing, I cant understand why the Euro is valued higher than the $.

Ackim maybe the German border guards can be redeployed to the borders of the EU. I was driving through Munich the other day and it felt like I was back in NY, albeit much, much, cleaner.

KHTO, LHTL

A “fat” government doesn’t necessarily mean a “job creation scheme”

It does usually end up that way, however

• every country has poor areas and rich areas, and govts want to create jobs in the poor ones, and govt jobs are much easier to create than private sector jobs (esp. with direct subsidies being mostly illegal in the EU)
  • vote buying goes on everywhere
  • govts in free countries are inherently short-term
  • in the context of this thread, the “enforcement” professions tend to recruit from a specific “character profile pool” and there is a strong negative correlation between that pool and the concept of a “work ethic”
  • still on topic, the workload is not in control of the organisation – it is whatever comes through the door, and anytime the workload is below system (maximum) capacity there is a natural temptation to expand the procedures (or invent new ones) to expand the workload (e.g. the Special Branch at Caernarfon doing 100% checks on Irish traffic, despite every female in the area who is over 14 already being pregnant )
  • regulatory/enforcement/compliance professions are inherently hard to growth-limit because anybody trying to do so is going to look really crap

Why the hell cant they use Skype?

The whole point of being a diplomat is to run up massive expenses, like €2000 fully flexible / convertible tickets between London and Brussels. EASA has an H24 desk for reimbursing expenses… Do you think Greece would have been admitted into the Euro if a massive party could not have been organised in Athens for the Euro diplomatic class? You can’t have a p1ssup (with everything that follows later in the evening, given half a chance) over VOIP (Well, I am sure people are working on it – it’s called Virtual Reality – but it isn’t here yet )

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It does usually end up that way, however

I think you are generalising massively from your UK experience. E.g. vote buying is much less of an issue if you have proportional representation instead of single-member constituencies.

Most refugees heading for the UK? Where do you have that information from, Peter?

Achim is right: You cannot take a shower without getting wet. The UK only has to join the system and you’ll enjoy the same freedom

Peter wrote:

With most immigrants in Europe heading for the UK, the UK is not going to join Schengen, ever. Anyway, that wasn’t my question…

This is actually not even remotely true. It’s a fiction promoted by the likes of the Daily Mail.

In any case the Calais problem would probably still be dealt with as it is now if the UK were in Schengen due to security about the tunnel and ferries. Daily Mail readers are cutting their nose off to spite their face – it’s absurd it often takes me longer to re-enter the UK from Spain as a British citizen than it takes for me to enter the United States on a visa waiver. If Mail readers started being able to go on Ryanair somewhere and come back without being stuck in a massive immigration queue, I’m sure their tune would soon change.

Andreas IOM

Most refugees to the EU end up in Germany or Sweden.

Refugees indeed mostly go elsewhere than the UK. However the UK is very popular with economic (i.e. illegal) migrants, because the UK is probably the easiest place in Europe for an illegal to live and work. This is mainly the result of having a very liberal society.

Ted.P wrote:

This is mainly the result of having a very liberal society.

This liberalism manifests itself in 27.5% for UKIP?

Sign in to add your message