Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why is Customs / Immigration such a job creation scheme?

Patrick wrote:

That would be a useless exercise because Americans don’t watch foreign movies. * gotta run… *

Thats because our movies end happily. With foreign movies the hero or heroine may die and therefore its totally unpredictable.

Patrick wrote:

What’s unprecedented is the sheer amount of hatred and prejudice among the population that is now visible in social media. People never before were able to share and stimulate each others’ resentments like that. It’s ugly and scary.

Yeah the last time that kind of hatred was fomented and stimulated was in the Bier Halls of the 1920s. I think Bier Halls were the favorite socialization forum of the time.

KHTO, LHTL

Maybe they should produce one telling the Americans to stop invading countries on false pretences and creating major problems a few years later.

That would be a useless exercise because Americans don’t watch foreign movies. * gotta run… *

It’s really mad right now, last time it was like that was during the Yugoslavian war.

What’s unprecedented is the sheer amount of hatred and prejudice among the population that is now visible in social media. People never before were able to share and stimulate each others’ resentments like that. It’s ugly and scary.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t help if, like yesterday, some refugees think it’s a good idea to, over a home-made quarrel that escalated, attack and injure the police of the country they’re looking for asylum in. :-(

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Maybe they should produce one telling the Americans to stop invading countries on false pretences and creating major problems a few years later.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

LeSving wrote:

I guess that is the thing about immigration. It only becomes a problem when we make it a problem.

Well, it’s a bit more than that right now over here. The latest stats show that 43% of all refugees end up in Germany and they are now virtually everywhere. 800,000 this year. Next to my house they are converting a closed swimming pool to a refugee home for hundreds and close to my office they converted one of the city’s hospitals into a temporary refugee home. The police academy was temporarily closed and is now a refugee shelter. It’s really mad right now, last time it was like that was during the Yugoslavian war.

I saw the government are producing movies in Albanian, etc. about how much it sucks to be in Germany and how bad the treatment is and that it’s totally pointless to come Maybe they should do one about how much easier it to learn English compared to German or how good the food in France is

Last Edited by achimha at 20 Aug 11:19

The Swedish immigrant population is 22% or something. The Norwegian is 16% In Britain it is what? 10% maybe. But there are differences. In Norway the largest immigrant population is Poles, then Swedes and Lithuanians. There are less Pakistani, Syrians etc.

But it is fun to watch TV these days. There is an election coming. The big issue is what to do with a couple of thousand refugees from Syria, as if it should be a unsolvable problem. No one even notice the hundreds of thousands of Poles living all around “us”, working everywhere.

I guess that is the thing about immigration. It only becomes a problem when we make it a problem.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

alioth wrote:

The UK is generally a popular place for economic migrants not because it’s a pushover or benefits are liberally given out to all comers, but because of the English language. English is a lot more popular to learn than say German or French. If you’re looking for a new place to live for economic reasons, you’re probably going to pick one where you can speak the language. The UK being in or out of Schengen isn’t going to change this.

True enough.That is why Hungary is a popular transit country.

However the other reason is because the economy here really really sucks. There are homeless people everywhere. Kind of reminds me of the cartoons of London in the Victorian age. Where a mother was drinking Gin while the child was sucking on her tit. With the Hungarian govt giveaways having given away most of the assets of the country instead of spending to update and modernize it to be economically competitive. The political class took the easier and more profitable route to personal wealth by selling it to foreigners.

But Im digressing the Brit economy is still good with relatively good social programs. And as someone mentioned, if an adventurous person goes and settles abroad their friends will follow. Thats what happened in the US. Thats why we have, Little Italy, China town, German town, etc.

Also lets not forget a very important factor. If its difficult to get there, forbidden, some people would want to go just for that reason.

KHTO, LHTL

Airborne_Again wrote:

If the individual has the right to withdraw money from the company account and a driver’s license is a valid ID

Peter wrote:

Yes… in essence the way it works is that if you turn up at the bank in person and can satisfy them you have a valid ID, you can ask them to do anything including the emptying of somebody’s bank account and transferring the money to Switzerland.

It’s incredibly poor procedure and practice. Besides ID you should authenticate your transaction with signature (stored in the bank and available to clerk for at least visual check) and in case of company official stamp (which scan is also stored in the bank and available for comparison). Anything less than that is just fraud waiting to happen.

Peter wrote:

Any personal ID, short of a passport (which doesn’t confirm your address anyway) is trivial to photoshop.

No, it’s not. Try to forge any descent national ID (e.g. like Croatian) and you’ll see that’s not so easy, especially new ones with chip containing certificate, simply imposible to forge.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes… in essence the way it works is that if you turn up at the bank in person and can satisfy them you have a valid ID, you can ask them to do anything including the emptying of somebody’s bank account and transferring the money to Switzerland.

Whereas if you tried to do the same thing remotely it would not be possible, due to the various login credentials required. You would have to phish them, etc.

Any personal ID, short of a passport (which doesn’t confirm your address anyway) is trivial to photoshop.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Emir wrote:

This is definitely not a police stuff – it’s bank’s procedure problem – what policy on earth can allow that somebody with driving license can withdraw money from the company account?

Depends. If the individual has the right to withdraw money from the company account and a driver’s license is a valid ID (like it is in Sweden), then I’d say it is certainly a police matter.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

achimha wrote:

In no place in the world I had to wait longer in the immigration queue than in the UK.

Although I mainly agree with you on this topic, I must admit that I’ve never waited entering UK more than few minutes. However, entering US and Israel lasted for hours and hours.

Peter wrote:

My company’s bank account got ripped off £1500 by somebody with a good copy of my driving license

This is definitely not a police stuff – it’s bank’s procedure problem – what policy on earth can allow that somebody with driving license can withdraw money from the company account?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
47 Posts
Sign in to add your message