Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why I don't use Air Navigation Pro software in any serious way...

Well, I’m glad I’m not alone. I have the Android version too and don’t use it. The IoS version is apparently the best, but that might not be much of a recommendation.

Pity….it could have been good.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

I’m wondering why you persevere with it Howard? As others have said, very good alternatives are available.

One feature of ANP I really did like was the attitude indicator function. Although this doesn’t work very well with the gyro-sensors in a phone or tablet (though I have used it on a ship to measure the roll; 30 degrees, as it turned out), it could use a Levil AHRS to give a nice backup horizon. I hadn’t got around to buying the Levil yet, but if I was to do now, I would probably pair it up with Xavion.

Video of ANP + Levil

EGTT, The London FIR

@Finners – I don’t persevere with ANP except to use it to view charts on my PC at home instead of fishing out the paper charts (if I even have them for foreign lands). It’s handy for that at home. MemoryMap would be the same I guess.

For flight planning I always use Skydemon. It’s great for that. A huge time-saver. Brilliant. However, Skydemon doesn’t have ICAO charts built in and when I fly I always have my route plotted on paper ICAO charts, which I have copied from the route shown by Skydemon. I fly without Skydemon on a tablet because I have a good setup in my cockpit comprising GNS530w and Garmin 795 on the yoke. I do recognise that Skydemon on a mini-ipad on the yoke would sometimes be more useful than the 795, but the 795 is designed for its role and doesn’t ever crash in flight.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

I have a Garmin 695 – for similar reasons to yours. I plan on SkyDemon and then upload the route to the 695. Works a treat. I don’t routinely use SkyDemon in the cockpit, but I have it on my iPad and iPhone, just in case.

EGTT, The London FIR

check out the latest version of Air Navigation Pro iOS with plenty of new features : http://blog.airnavigation.aero/

I found it shitty from the start and never used it. Howard, just save yourself a lot of pain and delete it. Life is too short for crappy shitty software.
That’s from someone producing sw….

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

This was before Easy VFR

The team at PocketFMS/easyVFR have produced a really nice, clean, intuitive software package. Very good value and works well on iPad with Bad Elf, although I don’t run it full time. I start it up before departure, and when I need it it picks up its position quite fast.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

BTW, thomasGZZ just signed up and picked up an old thread… look at the dates.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

ThomasGZZ: Air Nav Pro is the biggest pile of excrement it has ever been my misfortune to ever install on an iPad, iPhone, android or similar…..

The company repeatedly issued software updates which deleted the links to installed maps; the maps were still there, the program just didn’t recognise they were installed so I had to reinstall them. Worse, any updates were considered ‘required’ – means you start the program, the system sees an update and installs it, deleting the links to the maps, just as you’re about to go flying. What made it really unacceptable for me was when they sent an update through and deleted my maps whilst I was in Budapest, it cost me around 500€ in roaming fees to re-download the maps – this was in the days when free WLAN or cheap data roaming was unheard of – sitting in my aircraft at the airport with a filed flight plan ready to go – and that just because the programmers repeatedly sent out updates with beginner mistakes.

The first time that happened, I thought, ok, I reported it. They issued a software update. Sorted. Then they issued another update which included the first defect – wot, no maps? This happened 3 times until I had had enough and consigned that heap of dog’s doo to the crap heap, where it belongs……

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 03 Sep 20:31
EDL*, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

Worse, any updates were considered ‘required’ – means you start the program, the system sees an update and installs it, deleting the links to the maps, just as you’re about to go flying. What made it really unacceptable for me was when they sent an update through and deleted my maps whilst I was in Budapest, it cost me around 500€ in roaming fees to re-download the maps – this was in the days when free WLAN or cheap data roaming was unheard of – sitting in my aircraft at the airport with a filed flight plan ready to go – and that just because the programmers repeatedly sent out updates with beginner mistakes.

One can try to defend against that by disabling the radio. It’s very unlikely I would update an app (I count on during flight) at that point.

This can happen fairly easily via version control. When you have multiple branches, you have to merge them properly. Ensure that all appropriate patches are applied so you don’t introduce old errors with a new feature release. I know some people struggle with this. I found it amusing as an engineer to see someone encountering the same bugs over and over again. I can see how the humor can be lost on a customer.

Sign in to add your message