Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why I don't use Air Navigation Pro software in any serious way...

One issue is that on an Ipad you cannot block connectivity to a specific app while allowing it to other apps, and most people fly with an Ipad because they use it off the aircraft. Same on Android but at least rooting Android is much easier and with a lot fewer consequences (very few apps need a later OS). Also rooting Android blocks further OS updates (not app updates) for ever.

The TomTom satnav app also has a habit of popping up a 6.2GB update just as you are driving out of the garage…

This is a general problem with all “mission critical” stuff. So e.g. I never update my flying tablet (win8.0). Exhaustive regression testing is close to impossible and the vendors of consumer IT don’t give a flying ***k because by the time you got the product they have already abandoned it and are working on version N+1 At work we never update a machine running accounting software.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One issue is that on an Ipad you cannot block connectivity to a specific app while allowing it to other apps

Not correct – it is very simple to do exactly this using the “Restrictions” features in iOS.

ortac wrote:

Not correct – it is very simple to do exactly this using the “Restrictions” features in iOS.

But that feature wasn’t available for all original iPads / iPhone, IIRC, it was introduced with iOS 4?

EDL*, Germany

You can’t block network access on an app by app basis on iOS and never have been able to.

The only granular control is over privacy settings such as access to location services, camera etc.

You can block individual apps from using cellular data but that wouldn’t stop an accidental update via WiFi.

Last Edited by stevelup at 05 Sep 06:46

Have to report that in ISRAEL airnavpro works great .
I use it on a daily base with no problems at all .
Maybe this is because this is the only program ( at least that I know ) that has the actual CVFR Routs we have to follow in ISRAEL
I’m trying to look on the skydemon these days as many people here has worm recommendation on it

Fly as u can
LLHA

What irritates me about any of these software, is you pay rather hefty license fees (as far as GP app goes). I am willing to do that IF they update the maps and info to current standard on a continuous basis. When I later discover I have to look at the sources in any case, AND tell the software companies to update this and that in their software, then what exactly is it I am paying for?

Airnav Pro at least has official ICAO maps. I’m not too found of raster maps on a small screen, but at least you have the map available.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Used AirNav pro for 2 years with no problem (albeit VFR only).

I have never managed to file a flight plan using it though, nor can I get the weight and balance calculator to work.

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

W&B works ok for me .
Did not try to file a Flightplane .
Did someone try to use FF ? I see it is the most common in the states

Fly as u can
LLHA

Peter wrote:

At work we never update a machine running accounting software.

I’m imagining now the office full of original IBM PC XTs and green monitors and their lovely mechanical buckling spring keyboards in your office :-)

Andreas IOM

Hello, Air Navigation Pro is now fully updated for both iOS and Android platform. Massive refactor and new features. Air Navigation offer the best Moving Map experience, 3D synthetic vision and Cloud hosting pilot’s group solution for companies. they just release the latest version of the app for iOS 6.2 at http://blog.airnavigation.aero/2016/12/flight-planning-app-air-navigation-pro.html

Sign in to add your message