Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

I’m sure Cobalt is right.

There’s no point in panic-buying EU27 paperwork just because some soûlard in Brussels thinks it’s smart to spread FUD about holidaymakers being stranded on the Costa Brava because their Airbus has British wings, or a G-reg PA28 being refused access to Luxemboug’s airspace.

Nothing that the UK or EU27 can do or fail to do can abridge rights acquired under the EU treaties and Article 1 of the First Protocol – as the French authorities dicovered when they tried to crack down on Italian-registered ultralights based in France.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

as the French authorities dicovered when they tried to crack down on Italian-registered ultralights based in France.

What happened?

France now has a 30 day limit on non CofA non-F-regs based there. Some previous threads…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The prosecution failed because at the time there was no French regulatory regime for ultralight helicopters. Consequently, that changed in 2012 with the introduction of the Class 6 ULM. A French Mosquito or CH7 pilot can no longer claim that he or she has no alternative to operating on Italian papers.

Whether a 30 day limit is long enough remains to be seen. I don’t think it has been tested yet and the facts may be hard to prove.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I’ve had a UK License since I started flying with my PPL some 11 years ago. Its now an EASA license under UK CAA and things have worked fine, but with UK now leaving EU I wonder if it’s the best option to move it? The cost is approximately 1000 EUR to move it to Denmark where I live + most likely quite a bit of paperwork. However the way I see it UK will end up going by the rules/regulations of EU anyway (EASA in this case). One can never be 100% sure of course, so has anyone moved their licenses because of Brexit? If so what was your specific concern and did the process work smoothly?

THY
EKRK, Denmark

This thread is now “sticky” in order to keep the brexit / licensing / other aviation issues in one place.

Purely political (non aviation) discussion belongs to the off topic thread but for the time being the brexit topic is to be kept out of there, for a number of reasons of which the impossibility of a balanced discussion, and personal attacks against a number of UK pilots, were just two.

Administrator

As a new member I tried to read all in this post. Like THY I have an UK PPL and IMCR.
From your earlier reactions I conclude I should be ready to change my license to another country before UK leaves and onlynif without agreement.
Is there any other country that has a same system as IMCR, so I can keep this rating?

LF2433 rochebeaucourt france, Netherlands

Only Australia has something like the IMCR

Administrator

Can you get a UK National Licence with your IMCR (based on your EASA licence), and after that, covert your EASA licence to your home country? That would seem to be the best of both worlds.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

The UK CAA advises that in the absence of an operational need no new UK national licences will be granted. That condition is not made in article 152 of the Air Navigation Order, requiring CAA to grant national licences and ratings on request, so a regulation 6 appeal followed if necessary by a judicial review for a mandatory order is probably necessary.

The head of licensing has told me there will be a new process created, in the event of UK coming permanently out of EASA, to facilitate the grant of a UK Part-FCL licence to EASA Part-FCL licence holders previously under UK CAA administration. Such a “UK Part-FCL” licence would be governed by the UK Aircrew Regulation, as retained EU law, and there would be no bar against holding one in conjunction with an EASA Part-FCL licence. The latter will continue being accepted in UK for at least two years following the withdrawal from EU.

Anyone operating a US-registered aircraft in UK requires, in the absence of a US airman certificate, a licence granted by UK. If UK stays in EASA and if the EASA Part-FCL licence is not under UK administration then the only option will be to obtain a UK national licence (cf. art 137 and 148(3)(b) of the ANO).

London, United Kingdom

Has anyone read the current 585 page draft withdrawal document and is it mentioned?

Just curious.

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message