Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Has this been covered before? On television yesterday I saw a couple of clips on the finance bill which is part of the laws needed for Brexit being debated in the UK Parliament. In the clip I saw the minister responsible was announcing an increase in taxes on Avgas. I think he was trying to give the impression that this wasn’t a big thing and Avgas is bad because it contains lead and besides not a lot of people use it.
This caught my attention for obvious reasons but also because I didn’t think these sort of debates went into such minutiae and only dealt with the overall picture. And why pick on something which he said himself only had a tiny market to stress in the debate?

France

I can’t find anything online about this. Avgas duty has been fixed for a long time; maybe 10 years. I can find only a mention here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think the debate took place Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. I was waiting to see if anyone else noticed it. It will of course have been recorded in Hansard.
To me it just stuck out like a sore thumb.

France

I think that was here. The bigger reality is that holiday bookings for 2021 are way down because Foreign Office advice is against travel which means people can’t get travel insurance (well, not the sort of insurance they are looking for, which pays out if e.g. hotels or ski lifts close). As mentioned in the linked thread, this is a recommendation and e.g. Switzerland may well decide to ignore it.

Administrator

The reality is lot of people are still dreaming of fairy land, even post-covid, I don’t think travel or holiday to the EU-27 will be impossible just more costly and more hassle

Brexit will surely impact those who are used to to cheap travel/holiday to Spain/Portugal with zero hassle or barriers?
Of course, it’s a non-event to those used to travel/holiday to NewZeland/Australia/Emirates
These are wide open for Brits tourisme these days
Sadly all too far for GA travel !

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Dec 14:14
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I don’t think so.

For a comparable scenario, look at how “difficult” it is for a non EU resident (say C.I. or Switzerland) to fly GA to the EU. There are no difficulties! Well obviously you need to enter via a Customs+Immigration airport but we all knew that and while Germany and Italy have the “Immigration on PNR” options, almost no UK pilot knew about that anyway because it doesn’t appear under the AIP AD.

Also another “reality” is that for long UK to mainland trips (I am intentionally not saying “UK to Europe” because the UK is and always will be in Europe, despite the nonsense spouted all over the place that the UK is leaving Europe, is anti-Europe, etc, blah, blah) these tend to go to a sizeable airport anyway, for peripheral reasons like needing an IAP (yes, an IR makes long distances much easier), a proper runway and parking, etc, and most of those have Customs already. One already cannot use the Schengen concession.

Looking at my trips I don’t see much changing in terms of high value mainland destinations for meeting up with friends, seeing places, even going skiing. What would be a disaster (in terms of pleasant easy short GA trips) would be e.g. Le Touquet losing Customs, but that would be a monumentally stupid move on the part of France which would pretty well directly lead to its eventual demise. What would be a bigger disaster would be Croatia “doing a France” and pulling the police out of its non-airline airports, but why should they? The country is seriously corrupt but the whole area is corrupt, but they don’t shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to getting incoming money.

I am being positive, which is likely to lead to me or EuroGA getting bad-mouthed in the usual places as “anti European” (yes; seen that already from the usual people in the usual places) which is absolute garbage

Another thing is that sometimes, just sometimes, people aren’t as completely stupid and ignorant of potential revenue sources as we often see airport management being. If I was running an airport in some place which is attractive to Brits, I would try hard to organise the “token policeman”, on say a 3hr PNR. This is not rocket science… Money talks, and usually talks louder than pride or other things. Probably not in January 2021 but a little later

Administrator

Ibra wrote:

nd/

Peter wrote:

or a comparable scenario, look at how “difficult” it is for a non EU resident (say C.I. or Switzerland) to fly GA to the EU. There are no difficulties! Well obviously you need to enter via a Customs+Immigration airport but we all knew that and while Germany and Italy have the “Immigration on PNR” options, almost no UK pilot knew about that anyway because it doesn’t appear under the AIP AD.

Also another “reality” is that for long UK to mainland trips (I am intentionally not saying “UK to Europe” because the UK is and always will be in Europe, despite the nonsense spouted all over the place that the UK is leaving Europe, is anti-Europe, etc, blah, blah) these tend to go to a sizeable airport anyway, for peripheral reasons like needing an IAP (yes, an IR makes long distances much easier), a proper runway and parking, etc, and most of those have Customs already. One already cannot use the Schengen concession.

I hope you’re right. But I’m not sure that is actually going to be the case. Switzerland, is part of Schengen so the immigration point from that perspective is moot (still need customs). The best outcome would indeed be if it all became easier and 4 hour GAR’s would suffice but its not usually how bureaucracy works…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Ibra wrote:

Of course, it’s a non-event to those used to travel/holiday to NewZeland/Australia/Emirates
These are wide open for Brits tourisme these days

Oh? My understanding is that travel to/from Australia and New Zealand are both closed to all international traffic except for certain specific cases such as family. This has been the case since March and I’ve not found anything yet indicating the restrictions have been relaxed.

LSZK, Switzerland

Switzerland, is part of Schengen so the immigration point from that perspective is moot (still need customs).

It is much harder (in terms of available airports) for a Swiss departing flight to travel to the rest of mainland Europe, compared to an EU+schengen departing flight.

The Swiss have to “pick their battles” and this is evident from who you meet and where you meet them The Brits will have to do the same, but they have for the most part being doing that already, being non schengen. In fact, who you meet and where you meet them (and also who you almost never meet outside their borders) is really interesting, but that’s another story. The biggest determinant in who travels where is not C+I but ELP. The next determinant is wealth.

Indeed; let’s hope for 4hr GAR PNR.

The following are not brexit related:

NZ is pretty well totally shut. A ferry pilot friend has just ferried a Phenom 100 there. Apart from needing about 100 fuel stops he got locked up in a govt run detention isolation centre for 5 days before getting back on an airline flight back home. It wasn’t this one in AU, to his disappointment

The Scilly Isles are shut again now to GA and are likely to remain so until the very end of CV19 – same as Alderney+Guernsey.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message