Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Peter wrote:

The USA de facto runs the majority of world aviation. Europe is just a tiny spot on the globe…

I beg your pardon? The European aviation industry is huge and at least on par with the US. Airbus has gone from nowhere to market leader (depending on which criteria you use) in just a few decades. In GA, Dassault, TBM, Pilatus, Eurocopter, Extra, all the LSA/microlight dominate their market segments.

To further help Europe to compete with the very large USA, a good common regulator is required. We see quite a lot of US centric aviation developments being done in Europe to be under EASA regulation instead of FAA. That is more and more seen as a competitive advantage.

An isolationist UK aviation authority/industry would stand no chance. The UK are tiny compared to the EU bloc. No way that is going to happen.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

should really bring a reform of the agency in the sense that all members of EASA should have equal rights, their membership with the EU nonwithstanding

Indeed. I think it was created as a EU body because that was feasible back then and is therefore bound by EU law regarding funding and governance but EASA should definitely not be a EU institution and there is no reason why Switzerland and Norway and (in case it gets out of self destruction mode) a post Brexit UK shouldn’t have equal membership rights and obligations. It’s not easy though because EASA develops what becomes EU law so it has to be an EU organization but for sure there are ways to make this work.

Hi everybody,

my comment might come off-topic at this point of the conversation (@Peter, please feel free to remove it if you think so.), but I think it does not diverge enough from the title to have a thread on its own. I am finishing my ATPL theory in Germany and planning to fly the MEP and CPL-hours in LELL, because reasons.

With the catalan government going crazy these weeks, I am afraid that the whole region will stay in a legal limbo for some time.

What would happen to an EASA-approved ATO in these cases? Would it still be recognised by the other EU-CAAs?

Sorry again if this hijacks the thread.

Last Edited by Alex at 15 Oct 12:45
LEBL, Spain

achimha wrote:

It’s not easy though because EASA develops what becomes EU law so it has to be an EU organization but for sure there are ways to make this work.

Perhaps it’s more likely that EASA will change than the UK will leave EASA. I still think it’s much more likely the UK will leave EASA if no change in EASA is made. There is no good and obvious reason EASA is so tied to EU as it is. EASA could live on just as well if there where no EU. Aviation is global by default so to speak, at least commercial aviation. Shipping is even more global, and much larger, and do very well without any special EU intervention.

Its rather funny. By far the largest aviation industry after airlines here is off shore helicopter traffic. Just last year, Norway threw the EASA regulation for this kind of flying in the trash, and instead we use our own regs, and everyone else flying here has to obey them as well. When little Norway can do this, so can the UK, and much more. EASA is dependent on the industry much more than the industry is dependent on EASA (Except maybe Airbus which more or less is the same as EASA)

It will be somewhat interesting to see how this will end.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I am finishing my ATPL theory in Germany and planning to fly the MEP and CPL-hours in LELL,

That is really a debate about whether (or when) Spain will drive in the tanks, IMHO.

How much work and on what timescale would it take for a complete new country in Europe to create the required institutions of State, never mind those required for aviation? They would start by needing a seat on ICAO, or do what say the Channels Islands and the Isle of Man do and do it on the back of the ICAO seat occupied by… you’ve guessed it, Spain (which is going to be really happy to help them (not))

What happened in Slovakia, and are there any ATPL FTOs in Slovakia? That was however very peaceful.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

But ill-informed idiots fed false news by self interested and corrupt politicians

Good point, I would say this sums up the remain point of view pretty well. The bank of England’s dire forecasts including immediate recession following a brexit vote was indeed very much false news.

I would certainly be in favour of dropping EASA and aligning with the FAA, it is a much more practical system and I think there’s a good reason that there are quite a number of N reg aircraft resident in Europe.

What would happen to an EASA-approved ATO in these cases? Would it still be recognised by the other EU-CAAs?

I do not think there is any risk anything will change soon. From the perspective of the Madrid government as well as that of Brussels, Catalunia remains Spanish and Spain remains in the EU and EASA.

LFPT, LFPN

And there isn’t anything on the front page of my news site regarding Catalonia (Mogadishu bomb, German Lower Saxony election, Austria election, latest Trump embarrassment) — a clear sign that the danger has faded

Everything along those lines is highly speculative and you’d be as likely/much affected as businesses headquartered in Catalonia. Some have moved their place of incorporation as a precaution and made the news but 99.99% have not done anything. I’d not been too concerned. Spain is a civilized country and Catalonia, too if it actually is a country

The NATO/OTAN support for regions of the old Soviet Block seeking independence looks rather strange when regions in the West seek independence. And the Kurds are unlikely to be supported.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

The trade union UNITE have today warned of many job losses in Rolls Royce should a “hard brexit” be pursued.
Their statement says that a “hard Brexit” will involve leaving EASA

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Interesting, how much faith do you hold in a statement from unite?

Sign in to add your message