Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Ibra wrote:

A fallback on ICAO for UK aviation is the same as fallback on WTO rules for goods or services: same as no UK tariffs on overseas imports, while it open the door for any licence holder to fly on G-regs, or any N-Reg to fly in G-airspace

It does not open it any wider than it presently is: acceptance of foreign licenses under ICAO is not necessarily automatic, most countries impose specific validation requirements such as passing exams, etc.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I wonder how hard it is get an FAA145 approval, if you are EASA145? For years it was almost impossible to get FAA145 outside the USA (due to some domestic issue there over cowboy outfit controversy in Mexico or some such) unless you had “connections” but I am sure everybody in the UK will be looking at this now. An 8130-3 is accepted everywhere, especially for a new part.

It does not open it any wider than it presently is

Agreed, but if you are looking for Plan B, you have to run with what you can get.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ultranomad wrote:

It does not open it any wider than it presently is: acceptance of foreign licenses under ICAO is not necessarily automatic, most countries impose specific validation requirements such as passing exams, etc.

I was referring to Peter’s comment on: ability to fly a G-reg on any ICAO license, but extend it to full IFR…

Yes, under ICAO the CAA can unilaterally accept any ICAO licence to fly G-regs in G-airspace as it is (which work very well for me as pilot) but most of domestic UK aviation business will push to see some barriers (e.g. validation requirements or exams) on foreign licences or in getting concessions other countries recognition of CAA licences and here you go for another “XAA framework”…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The UK CAA used to automatically validate ICAO licenses for a G-reg worldwide, noncommercial VFR. I don’t think any other country has the right to object to such a validation if the aircraft presented to them is a G-reg.

The validation also covered IFR, but OCAS only which rendered it practically worthless, especially for the Eurocontrol system.

Administrator

“Aviathor summer it up well. In the end it will depend mainly on what other silly ideas and demands the UK comes up with to harm itself. "

Is that an appropriate comment on here?

United Kingdom

If a thread goes totally off the rails (but remains free of personal attacks) the posts get moved to the off topic / political thread where the discussion can continue. There has been a lot of feedback confirming that the creation of that thread was a good idea. Actually I believe post #3 was intended to trigger such a move, or a deletion, which could then be used to beat up the mod. It’s a fairly common thing

Administrator

Back in the days before the UK was in the EU for each flight out of the UK we had to, along with all the other paperwork, submit a GENDEC listing every piece of radio equipment fitted in the aircraft, this was for both directions.

Can we see this returning when we the UK leaves?

I doubt it. It must have been a long time ago. I started in 2000 and not only didn’t this exist then but the GAR system was totally disregarded and that continued until some 10 years ago. I remember phoning up the Customs then and incredulously asking them “do you really want this form even for Le Touquet… nobody I know has ever heard of it” and she stroppily told me “YES!”

Anyway, like the Greek Gendec asking you to confirm that nobody has tuberculosis, you just give them what they want

But seriously it will be interesting what will become of the current 24hr GAR requirement for non-EU (both arrival and departure) once the UK is itself, ahem, non-EU… Currently, “non-EU” is not massively relevant to GA – Switzerland, Norway, Serbia and a few more down there but most of “non EU” is not light GA reachable. Obviously a 24hr GAR would pretty well kill GA for foreign travel. My feeling is that instead of EU/non-EU they will have a list of countries, with the current EU being on a 4hr GAR like currently.

Administrator

quatrelle wrote:

Back in the days before

At least you have some common sense quatrelle when you refer to old days nostalgia, lot of people I met think aviation (or life) was easy before UK joined EU and take lot of it as granted…

Personally, I am happy with what EASA offers as it simplify cross-Europe touring for GA pilot/aircraft (tough I did not start to take benefit of this yet) but I also want to continue with some national exceptions (e.g. winching a “UK glider” in Norfolk…),

To continue doing so after Brexit I need two licences, two passports, two aircrafts…unfortunately I can’t afford the latter

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Why would you need two passports? I don’t think there is any suggestion of intra-Europe travel needing visas.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message