Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What are all the N-reg TBM owners doing about EASA FCL, 4/2016, HPA, Class Ratings, etc?

Euroga posts by bookworm. It is obviously coming.

Possibly, but currently still a rumour.

Also, on their past record, EASA are not going to announce a delay until the last moment. Every time there is a delay there is an outcry from the businesses which spent money gearing up to make money out of the regulatory change.

The 14 ATPL theory exams are a red herring

Sure; they are one of the means of compliance.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Am I correct that if you have an EASA IR and an FAA ATP you are covered, at least for SE Turboprop?

Or does this only affect multi turbofan where EASA requires MCC and a type rating?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Am I correct that if you have an EASA IR and an FAA ATP you are covered, at least for SE Turboprop?

Or does this only affect multi turbofan where EASA requires MCC and a type rating?

The way I understand it (??) at the moment is…

To fly a SE EASA registered Turboprop in Europe up till April 2016 on a EASA licence you need a class rating and for this you need at HPA rating which is no big deal.

To fly in class A airspace you also need an IR rating on your EASA licence.

Alternatively you need a FAA licence with an FAA IR and an N registered aircraft to do all of the above, but after April 2016 (Jason says April 2017, but no one has seen this information) you will need to comply with EASA regs which means EASA IR and a class rating for the aircraft type.

Peter wrote:

I don’t think Norway or Switzerland are in the EU… they may subscribe to EASA FCL but the reg has to be read as it is written, and “Community” = EU.

That is correct, but exactly which regulations are in effect, when they are in effect, and how things are handled “in the mean time” has been a complete mess here during the last 20 years regarding pilot license. You could ask the N CAA about it, it would be interesting to see what they answer.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

quatrelle thank you, an ICAO ATP confers the HPA I believe, and if there is a Class rating for the SE (T), any turbine should be OK? What is stopping you getting it in something like this?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Schweizer-G-164B-Ag-Cat/2109869/L/

That is correct, but exactly which regulations are in effect, when they are in effect, and how things are handled “in the mean time” has been a complete mess here during the last 20 years regarding pilot license. You could ask the N CAA about it, it would be interesting to see what they answer.

Yes; what I was getting at is that the particular bit of EU law (the italic text I quoted) does not apply because, simply, Switzerland, Norway, and the others are not in the “Community”. For example Egypt could sign up to EASA FCL totally but still that clause would not apply to an operator based in Egypt. If the UK left the EU then the same would happen to UK based operators (would be rather useful!).

Administrator

Found this list which has some SE (T) as a class rating, and others as a type rating.

http://easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/List_of_Aeroplanes_—_Class_and_Type_Ratings_and_Endorsement_List-12032014.pdf

We have seen 2 approaches to the issue:

Some have decided to wait it out since the extension to 2017 is still possible. Their point is to see if the process will be even easier in the near future.

Others have taken the steps to make their EASA conversion which includes the complete set. We have seen enough of our UK TBM clients go that route without much hassle thanks to the team in place. Instructors and examiner are quite used to the process and I have only seen satisfied pilots.

I for one am still resisting…I just can’t get around the idea of being forced. I have been flying a TBM around Europe for the last 12 years and I should be imposed to change my licence in the name of safety?

If there was a real safety issue, I am curious to understand the delays and multiple extensions…Clearly my safety does not seem that critical after all!

If someone is interested in the conversion process, please contact me and I will put you in touch with our usual team.

EGKB LFQQ EBAW

Feel free David to post details of organisations which do it, and what they charge.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

what I was getting at is that the particular bit of EU law (the italic text I quoted) does not apply because, simply, Switzerland, Norway, and the others are not in the “Community”

I understand that, but it’s the same principle for all of EASA regulations. They mean nothing unless the CAA explicitly and officially say that they do, and when they do, then EASA and EU (community) is one and the same, according to the EEC agreement. I have never seen or heard about this “4/2016”. Is this a new regulation, any reference?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message