Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Birds nesting inside your plane - how long would it take to get this?

Would regular flying prevent this?

On a retractable (I think these are TB20s) a bird can get in via the landing gear cavity, but wouldn’t the plane need to be sitting there for a long time? Birds are normally slow at making nests in a new location.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Birds are normally slow at making nests in a new location.

Some birds may be slow but not all of them are – round here, jackdaws are a real pest. I had my chimney cleared of them and took care to light a fire every day, even if only some newspapers. I neglected that duty one day and presto the chimney’s blocked again.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Peter wrote:

Birds are normally slow at making nests in a new location

On the engine it took four days at Calvi LFKC, but was not quite ready.

Berlin, Germany

At Deggendorf I had a nest after two days on the engine, two years ago.

EDDS , Germany

It probably depends a lot on the time of year.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

We had mice crawling up the front wheel and into the aircraft. It did destroy a headset before we catched it.
After that we keep a circular metal screen around the front wheel when parked in the hanger.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

In the case small birds, prevention is better than cure, because once the nest construction has started, the aircraft may be grounded until the fledglings have departed – for which lunacy we may thank the EU (Article 5)

On the other hand, a Barn Owl lives in our hangar and provides an adequate rodent control service. It’s not win-win, as anyone who has provided accommodation for an owl will know, it just means cleaning owl droppings off the top of the wings at the same time as washing the bugs off the front and the sheep sh1t off the underside…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

In the case small birds, prevention is better than cure, because once the nest construction has started, the aircraft may be grounded until the fledglings have departed – for which lunacy we may thank the EU (Article 5)

That is not at all how I read this directive. In particular in view of article 9.1(a).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Article 9.1 merely permits member states to issue derogations in certain circumstances, including “in the interests of air safety” i.e. to reduce risk of bird strikes in flight. I don’t think that article permits a derogation to allow removal of nests from stationary aircraft. But more to the point, has Sweden issued such a derogation?

The answer would seem to be “no

If you know the nest is there, you’re grounded. Of course, if you overlook it on the pre-flight, and inadvertently fly the nest from Uppsala to Gothenburg, the birds may abandon the nest. Then I suppose it can be destroyed. But better to stop it being built in the first place.

Last Edited by Jacko at 20 Apr 22:36
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

You are referring to a directive and not a regulation. That means that it has to be implemented in national regulations and the national regulations are the legally binding texts.

But the question is interesting and I have put it to the responsible government authority in Sweden.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message