Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

London Control versus Lille Radar (legibility)

London Control

Lille

I was not the only one who found Lille to be barely legible. It seems to be a combination of crappy equipment and a controller whose English is very borderline.

Any views?

I would not have posted this if it wasn’t really common.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In terms of sound quality, both sound the same.

I would say that the girl at Lille actually has clear English compared to some other French controllers.

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

I couldn’t understand anything the Lille controller said, except “Lima Tango”. The sound quality was really, really poor.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

One minor correction: AFAIK, there is no call sign named “RADAR” in France. It’s either “Control” or “Approach”.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 May 13:33
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I heard the whole conversation with Lille yesterday, being on the same frequency and same destination as “number one”. And I had no problem understanding what she was saying although the transmission was far from optimal. On the other hand, I understand very little from that recording.

One interesting question: how did you read me?

LFPT, LFPN

The Lille controller was basically indecipherable to me. Did I hear you were cleared for something number two (?) Lima Tango, report something (established?). The poor radio quality doesn’t help. I hope you knew what she was likely to say and didn’t actually need to hear the words.

The London Control guy talks with a strange nasal accent but I could understand him

how did you read me?

I didn’t notice you Didn’t know the reg, for a start.

I do have the whole sound track, and am rendering a video of it which despite being edited for brevity contains a lot of the Lille radio. I will send you the link… The entire sound track is still in the recorder.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I departed Le 2k just behind you yesterday Peter (G-BAPY) and really struggled to hear them properly. At first I thought it was my radio.

Last time I flew to LFAT, I also had this problem. I was reading them 2/5. Don’t know if they heard me clear. They changed me to another frequency, but the problem was also on the new one. Very annoying.

Last Edited by Vieke at 02 May 18:33
Vie
EBAW/EBZW

I thought London was indeed nasal: it took me a while to get the “one one”, but I think he said:
November one one three alpha charlie contact Lille now on frequency 120.275

I thought Lille was much harder, all I got was:
… standby
alpha charlie you are number two for approach and ???? lima tango, and uh, report to ???

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message