Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Funny Cloud / Unusual cloud types

In the UK too apparently:

water spout off south coast…

How close can you fly to those without it becoming dangerous?

Biggin Hill

Blimey @aart, that is one hell of a shot!
Yes, slaloming around your retreat is a treat in any circumstances, and so it’ll be next time

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

How close can you fly to those without it becoming dangerous?

This gives some qualitative information:

I once got close to one in hazy conditions, unintentionally. Less than 1NM away I think, no turbulence.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Not just above waterspouts but extreme wx here yesterday. Followed FR24 for a while and it must have been a real puzzle for the controllers at LEPA, LEIB and LEMH. Quite a few planes holding at unusual spots, then attempting, and failing, to land in 30-50kts crosswind to try again, some even returning to their point of origin. Some shots, not mine:

And another one in W Mallorca yesterday

Some major damage done at quite a few places on the island. OUrs was minor. Hopefully yours is not too bad @aart

Antonio
LESB, Spain

An very old fig tree did not make it :(. And some branches of other trees broke off. But nothing compared to the damage created by the snowfall his winter. 2023 goes into history as a memorable meteo year across the globe, and the year’s not over yet.

The extreme weather made the news over here :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-66633547

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

What are these? They are “tails” coming out of the bottom of quite small clouds. There doesn’t seem to be enough stuff in those clouds to cause rain (vigra)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What are these?

Just cirrus clouds.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message