Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Estimated value of my aircraft

But with the Trig you have neither NAV or GPS…

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

I totally agree with Jan. And if you want GPS, you get great handheld units – doesn’t need to be in-built. My aircraft isn’t IFR rated so, unless you want to do an avionics overhaul it will be used for VFR trips for fun. And for such trips, a chart, handheld GPS, ADF and DME will surely sufice.

Interesting story Peter. I guess a 3k paint job won’t win awards, but I wasn’t planning on doing this anyway. The paint is fine on the vast majority of my airframe – she scrubs up real nice.

Cheers.

Peter wrote:

You won’t get a good paint job for 3k. But it may be good enough. One would not spend 10k+ painting a 20k plane. Not unless it already has all the kit, really fits your mission profile, and you want to keep it long-term long term

Right now is much like the 1970s or 80s with older cars. Then later people en mass started spending 10K and more on 10K cars (worldwide) and they became 50K cars and then 75K cars. The 10K now looked like a wise investment in an appreciating asset. It’s a chicken and egg situation. At some point I think it will happen with planes, the core value and durability are there, but it will be a while. Maybe it won’t be so dramatic as with cars.

For some reason Grumman Travelers have always had much lower market value than a Cheetah, even when factoring in the difference in performance and cleaned up airframe of the Cheetah.

My philosophy for keeping and maintaining wonderful old planes is to keep the panel very basic, and use handheld stuff that can be tossed and updated easily every few years. This doesn’t work well for IFR. I don’t skimp on basic maintenance and I’ll be buying a quite expensive paint job in the foreseeable future

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Jul 14:56

mmmh buyers perspective…

TY91 (and TY92) both have 2 place intercom, only → may need additional equipment
not integrated with GPS database or NAV function (like GNS430/530) → less comfort

TT21 is not very user friendly – and limited in the future vs alternative models
if you have the space why going micoro ?

The AA5 is a model that first owners may go for → they dont want to start with avionics installations, but go for something ready to fly with a certain comfort level.
Owners may bemoan that, but if you want to sell, then the package has to be attractive for your target audience

As a buyer, I will not calculate the “cheap as chips”-option when thinking about equipment, but a reasonable level.
Sellers’ discretion whether they sell or not. Many hangar queens tell about a market where the bid / offer spread is too wide
He who must sell moves towards rational levels, you can see that time and again → and if not, keep it and fly

EDM_, Germany

My wife moaned that I had two aeroplanes, again…..I owned two a few years ago, a De Havilland Chipmunk, and my Bonanza. Not cheap planes to operate, but I displayed, and did Air Experience flights with the Chipmunk. Went toward maintenance costs, or so I convinced myself. The Chipmunk went, and I recently purchased my Super Cub. The promise to wife, sell my beloved Bonanza. It is currently up for sale. So, to get it to sale, and to get it through last annual, it cost me £21,000.00. New ruddervators et al. I am having to eat that cost. The aircraft is placed at 54k. And I think that is cheap. Offers are in region of 45k. Guess what, the consensus is my IFR kit is dated, and it does not have a Mode S. I fly with an I pad 3, running Sky Demon, a Garmin 296, and my King avionics. It does me fine, however, people turn up, look at the beautiful plane, and say it does not have a 430/530. It does not have those, because if I had wanted those items, I would have fitted them. Avionics are changing so fast, that to me, it did not make any sense to spend, (lose), more money, on something I, repeat, I, did not actually need. I am with Silvaire, in that it may not sell, I will sheepishly tell my wife it did not sell, and I will keep it and fly it, waiting for the day, it will become a very desirable item again.

To the OP, that I am afraid is the current state of the nation. I saw an airworthy, Cessna 152, go recently for 17k.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 18 Jul 16:24
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Ok great, so if a C152 can fetch 17k then things aren’t looking too bad for my neat AA5, which is worth more than 17. Sorry to hear about your huge investment, sounds like you really love that Bonanza!

Absolutely, and remember, it only needs one willing buyer, and a willing seller. Best of luck. Yep, I really love that Bonanza. Put a lot into it..

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 18 Jul 16:54
EGPF Glasgow

I wouldn’t touch a plane that has all done just prior to the sale. You’ll never know with what attitude things have been done, be it avionics installation, new paint and especially new engines. And I wouldn’t overrate 833 and Mode S as the majority of the used fleet for sale isn’t equipped anyway and you never know what a new pilot wants in his avionics. You’d never get back the installation of a 430 and for me I’ll choose the trig over any 430 any day.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I agree. Especially a new paint job. I can safely say I know just about every inch of my plane, what has been done, and to what standard. Hence, a real bugger to sell it. But hey, you never know….

EGPF Glasgow

The work was done at Christmas and it has run like a dream since, so I wouldn’t say it was work done just to try to sweeten a sale. Good to hear that 8.33 etc isn’t a make or break item.

Sign in to add your message