Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The feeling

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Yes very true! For me it is about 10 days before withdrawal symptoms

Damn, having written the above, just spotted the 10 marks he has on the tree!!!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You must be on cold turkey – I see 12 marks
:-)

EDM_, Germany

Resurrecting this old thread. While I still have quite a bit of flying ahead of me before the year ends, it will be nowhere near as “intense” as the period from May to August where I often fly several times a week. Especially as I’m planning some panel work towards the end of the year… I’m having pre-emptive withdrawal symptoms. Maybe I can convince my family to go someplace new for the mid-term break ?

EGTF, LFTF

I find the more often I fly the stronger it is – if I haven’t flown for a while it isn’t so bad, but a few days after a flight it’s all I can think about. Then comes the winter and I regret not doing more in the summer.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

denopa wrote:

it will be nowhere near as “intense” as the period from May to August where I often fly several times a week.

Generally true for me too. Until last weekend, I have been flying a LOT since the beginning of May. But last weekend was my last noteworthy flight for a bit, and it will definitely be a bit less in the coming months. Also, but not only, because I have spent a big amount of money for my flying in the last 4 months…

Weather of course plays a big role in this. But I don’t really mean flying weather. It’s more the general weather in the summer (and the longer days as well of course) which is more inviting to just “doing interesting things”.

Usually, I do one more trip in September or early October, but this year, I might not. Generally, September, October, and even the first bit of November is great for flying to southerly destinations. Even central Europe can be good for this. Better than early spring. Plus there is a lot of good night flying in autumn!

Generally though, I tend to keep flying regularly throughout the whole year. But it’s a different kind of flights. Usually shorter, usually more focussed on the flying (currency) than on going places. It takes some dedication to keep flying regularly in the “bad” months of the year. Most private pilots don’t have that much dedication and essentially stop until April the next year, usually blaming the bad flying weather (which, in most places in Europe, is nonsense of course).

So, keep it going, as much as you all can.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 30 Aug 10:22
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Interesting.

Most years I do most of the trips in the second half of the year. This year has not been good for trips to the south (over the Alps) because even though we had a fantastic summer in the SE UK, there was daily TSRA just N of the Alps.

Agreed one should fly through the winter. The wx is only slightly worse, and there are plenty of nice days.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message