Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Any idea who LFYN is? I think I know most of the others.

France

Some agencies send it just to the departure airport/FIR, and leave it up to them to distribute it. That could be what is happening here with Foreflight.

But so long as your departure airport has it, that usually is all you need for VFR. Everything else can be sorted enroute. The problem tends to be that the departure airport won’t open the plan for you because they can’t find it, and then you can’t depart. But once you’ve departed and your flight plan is opened, everything else gets sorted enroute in my experience.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Many previous threads on VFR FP addressing, including above. Some real gems can be found with a search for “hunnicat” although he seems to have vanished.

Some FP filing agencies do simply send it to the departure ARO (e.g. LFMTZTZX + ZPZX if departing from LFMT) and do nothing else, and in “classic times” this was all that was needed, but many countries have deviated from this in the last 10-20 years.

You absolutely must send a VFR FP to the departure tower (xxxxZTZX if nothing else) otherwise you will not get off the ground

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Frans wrote:

1. Finding the right frequencies.

Is there a smart way to find enroute frequencies in FF? This would help me a LOT for my flights, in particular through France.

Say there is a military airspace ahead, a problem that particularly often occurs in France. Or a controlled airspace. Boy what have I searched in flight. Or just to get FIS in Germany.

Germany

Apologies if this is asked before, but does anyone know if you can print PDF approach charts from FF? Jeppview is being phased out and I haven’t got a clear answer from Jeppesen if FF will support this. Basically the current workflow involves checking Jeppview for new approach charts and PDF print the new ones. And yes we print the PDF’s to have a paper backup in the aircraft.

If approach chart printing is possible, is there a web tool available for that?

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

I don’t know about FF but basically there is no way to print a whole airport into a PDF from any Jepp app – except the old PC/Windows ones which Jepp say they don’t support anymore but they still work.

This is done to limit bootlegging; lots of setups out there where a school/club has Jepp installed and everybody prints off PDF plates from it. They told me this at a presentation.

More e.g. here.

This is also why you can’t get Jepp on Android; there are automation programs for that which could be used to scroll through a whole airport, generate PDFs and then combine them. This is blocked under IOS – unless jailbroken but Jepp also detect a jailbroken device (like banking apps do). Android also offers a “cloaked root” option to avoid this but again you can’t do that on IOS AFAIK.

And I am sure FF checks for a jailbroken device too.

Administrator

Yes we’re talking the old windows version. It comes up with a message now:

Maybe someone here knows who has used FF web?

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

Isn’t it the cut-down version of FF which you can run in a web browser tab? I was testing it, posted extensively here, a while ago. I was testing it for generating Eurocontrol routes and it was quite poor back then, but that was a while ago.

I am pretty sure there never was a way to print terminal charts from FF, whether the AIP ones or the Jepp ones.

Jeppview I used many years ago. Jepp Flitestar/Flitemap still functions, if you can get hold of the update DVD. How long this will be, nobody knows, but the same data is used for Jepp’s high-end corporate products which will “never” go to the IOS platform, for obvious operating reasons.

Administrator

Yes.

always learning
LO__, Austria

@0fficer
Just contact Jepp for your operator to obtain an e-link login if you don’t want to use FF.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message