Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

I hear this „Foreflight isn’t for vfr“ often and I wonder why. I find Foreflight absolutely fine for VFR flying.

Just did a two day trip from northern germany to southern austria, vfr, with nothing but a radio, transponder and Foreflight.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I’ve used both FF and SD (VFR only) and I like them both. We’re very lucky to have at least two strong competitors in this market. I hope these companies keep innovating and improving their products – we all benefit from the competition.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight wrote:

Currently, the easiest way to find frequencies for airspace is to press and hold on the map for the area nearby. Then you will get the add-to route list which has all the airspace and should show the frequencies. For airspaces that have many frequencies, you may have to look at the airspace details for more. I agree that something with a list of frequencies along your route would be helpful and I’ve got that on my list to look into.

Thanks for your answer. Finding the FIS frequencies does not seem straightforward via this way. I also noticed that the one of Belgium (Brussels Info 126.9) seems missing (or at least I am unable to find it)

In regards to clutter, there are settings to help reduce what you see on the screen by taping on the gear at the top of the screen which houses the map settings. The two sections that will help with these adjustments are ForeFlight Map and Aeronautical, allowing you to customize your map.

As far as I can see all airspaces are shown (with the option to hide airspace above xx ft). In flight might be useful to dynamically filter the airspace at your level +/-1000 ft.

I have purchased a subscription to further test it for one year and see how things work out.

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

jfw wrote:

As far as I can see all airspaces are shown (with the option to hide airspace above xx ft). In flight might be useful to dynamically filter the airspace at your level +/-1000 ft.

Ah you mean in the “Add to Route” view. You’re correct, it doesn’t filter those airspace out of that view – only the map. I’ll capture the request either way.

All the best,
Josh

ForeFlight - Head of International Gr...
KGTU, United States

As mentionned previously I purcahsed the “Pro Plus” subscription to give FF a try.
When setting up the planes I seem to fail to undertsand how the “Custom Performance Profiles” for a DA40
I understand that not all performance info can be provided (as part of the performance plan" but what should I put as clib rate ?
As it changes between sea level & service ceiling…..
Any input on the info you are using and the rationale would be welcome.

PS. Is there a way to tell the max capacity of your fuel tanks (normal vs long range) ?

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

boscomantico wrote:

In short, FF is so much worse for VFR which prevails over where it is better for IFR. The cost difference is also huge

This is absolutely untrue. I’m a very very satisfied FF VFR in Europe user. Very. The only part that FF does slightly worse is to find the relevant frequencies and even that there are ways. Everything else FF is on top.

ELLX, Luxembourg

jfw wrote:

While trying it VFR this weekend I found it quite difficult to find the frequency to contact for the area where I am flying (FIS or APP) in FF compared to SD (where the radio tab is of great help)

My tip is to open the VFR App plate for any nearby airport and check the frequencies there. A few more clicks, but that will be least fiddly in some light chop.

ELLX, Luxembourg

Today, departing LFMT, I was assigned BRUSC6R SID.

For some weird reason it wasn’t in my printout. It isn’t new – the Jepp plate is from 2021. So I looked in FF and saw this

Does anyone know there SIDs are stored in FF? I also seem to see two of each. But they have weird (nonstandard) names.

They said BRUSC6N is similar so I flew that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi @Peter,

Looked in the the Departures and found that it looks like it BRUSC6R is on the RNAV Ray 30R SID. My assumption on the naming is due to the chart names themselves which feature multiple departures.

On the duplicates, I’m wondering if this might be due to data cycle cutover – are all your downloads up to date? My assumption is the old ones are downloaded, but not overwritten by the 2308 versions. Probably best to reach out to [email protected] if assistance is needed on this one.

Hope that helps,
Josh

ForeFlight - Head of International Gr...
KGTU, United States

Does anyone know there SIDs are stored in FF?

I prefer to use Binders during a flight.
1)

2)

3)

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message