Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

denopa wrote:

It’s weird that I only get one proposal, and you get 6…

Indeed. Perhaps it is to do with my aircraft profiles etc.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 11 Jul 15:42
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

To do this you need to change your aircraft profiles as the system will alway try to find an optimum, even if it isn’t your optimum! :)

I would think

• a route which is so much longer can’t be optimal in any way
  • an explicit level setting of say 7000-18000 should be just that (although I am using the browser version of FF for this)

I am using the provided TB20GT profile.

I have not found a list of differences between the browser version and the IOS version. Many are obvious, of course. It appears that the browser version is intended to be basically an admin tool for flights generated on the IOS app, but the features which are provided in it should still work correctly.

And it would be damn useful for preflight stuff. It is just sooo much easier to do all that on a PC, I find.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am using the 30 day test option on an old (company issued, hence why) iPad and I must say I like it. Jepp subscription shows nicely within the app. It connected to my Stratux in a second and the ADS-B traffic was showing fine. The attitude indicator was shaky on foreflight albeit stable in the stratux config display. It would be nice to declutter the traffic display. I saw every airliner in a couple hundred mile radius ;) while in FL080.

Regarding the PC version, I think Foreflight is tailored to the US guys that prefer one simple device, go to the airport, pull up foreflight on the iPad and go fly. If some preflight planning at home is required most people do it on the iPad. Not sure but my take on why the PC version is not really any good?!

I will probably ditch 2 of my 3 current apps and continue with one.
Anyone interested in approaching Foreflight as EuroGA members and ask about an introductory plan?

always learning
LO__, Austria

I wonder which features would not work on an “old” Ipad? I have an Ipad2 I could test it on. It used to be rooted but then somebody mistakenly updated the OS so it isn’t anymore

You are probably right about the typical US usage. Here in Europe there is so much more preflight stuff. One has to dig out the AIPs, maybe find airport websites for opening times or contact details, maybe contact handlers, email for PPR, send off the GAR, and all that is so much faster on a PC.

I recall that some years ago some organisation tried approaching Jeppesen for a group discount, without success. One thing which Jepp did do later however was to bring out the single-device subscription; before that it was just the four-device one. That brought down the price for Europe from about 2k to under 1k, roughly speaking.

If one has FF with the Jepp add-on, can the Jepp plates be viewed on a PC? That would then be equivalent to having Jeppview on the PC.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

If one has FF with the Jepp add-on, can the Jepp plates be viewed on a PC?

No.

PS. If you go to Account, Settings on the web browser you have the option to select UTC times rather than AM/PM.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 12 Jul 08:42
Fly safely

Brilliant, Dave, thanks.

Can anyone replicate my EGKA-LDLO routing issue, with the aircraft type of

for 16/7/18 0800Z and 7k-18k feet?

I get this error/warning which is curious since at the bottom is says it is validated

Administrator

Here you go. The system forced 11000ft but I didn’t get any warnings apart from the obvious fuel one.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 12 Jul 09:35
Fly safely

Thanks Dave. Why did it force 11000ft? Bizzare!!!

Actually I see FL120 in your route but that also explains it.

I would have noticed that if I could see the full flight plan string but I can’t find it.

Administrator

When I downloaded the aircraft model it initially had a max operating alt of 9500ft. I’ve just done it again, no change of parameters, and the SETAL leg is now N0155F110.

Fly safely

Why 11000ft – surely that should be a FL?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message