Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

In-ear headsets

The previous owner of my plane used them and loved them, so I bought a pair. Unfortunately I stopped using them as I found them too fiddly to put on, plus the noise reduction especially in the climb was nowhere near as good as Lightspeed or Bose. Maybe I should have tried finding earplugs that fit better, but if you need to try that hard…

EGTF, LFTF

I use Bose in ear headphones with ANR for regular flying, i.e. when I watch movies on a commercial flight. My ears hurt after using them, usually I have to take them out after an hour max. And I heard a doctor once who said they’re really bad for the ears. Because in order to work properly they have to TIGTHEN UP the ear and all the sound pressure blasts fully onto the drum and then destroys the receptors in the inner ear. They cause deafness, over time, is what they do.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 29 Sep 10:15
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

According to the manual, even the left and right ear on the same person can be different and require different plugs. But it should be straight forward to figure out. If it’s too large, your ear start hurting. If it’s too small, it will fall out or just feel loose.

Apparently, ANR is good for steady noise like the steady hum of an engine on constant RPM, but plugs are better for varying noise. But I don’t know, these things are very subjective. A passive headset is a more known quantity though, it will deliver the rated dB within the rated frequency range (with the right plugs).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

For aerobatics clarity is the best! For regular flying I still use the bose A20.

Last Edited by jvdo at 29 Sep 11:15
EBMO, EBKT

My wife likes hers and has less trouble putting them on than this pilot.

Simon

Last Edited by simon32 at 29 Sep 13:41

I think that’s a different headset, Simon. Quiet Halo?

LPFR, Poland

Hope they work good. Are they ANR?

Also, as a side note, people should really look into the AKG AV100 ANR headsets as an option to Bose and Lightspeed. I love mine – great ANR, light, good battery times and it has built in map reading light!

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 29 Sep 15:12

Are there any in-ear headsets that are ANR?

There should be no need for it because the earplugs provide broad-spectrum attenuation – just like the earplugs you wear when cutting grass or using a Dyson hoover But they need to fit very well and if they slip out and make a little gap, you lose most of the attenuation.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As some people differentiate between recommended headsets for regular flying and aerobatics: What criteria make a headset more or less suitable for aerobatics rather than regular flying?

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Patrick,

I’ve been using both QT Halo and Clarity Aloft for about 8 years.
There are several advantages for aerobatics:
They don’t come off.
They weigh almost nothing.
They don’t reduce head clearance.

You need to be careful especially with the CA that the buds are firmly attached. If they come off in your ear they aren’t easy to extract. At least the QTs have a bit of tube you can pull on. With a good fit, they work better than ANR, especially in a noisy cockpit where some ANRs don’t have the capacity required. Custom molded inserts ofter don’t work as well as the foam as they don’t accommodate natural variation due to temperature pressure etc.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States
Sign in to add your message