Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Neubrandenburg EDBN - The art of self-mockery

I was at Neubrandenburg EDBN lately. It’s located in the far north-east corner of Germany.
It used to be a military airport, but now used for GA. We refueled there on our way to Gdansk.

What made me laugh was this on the door of the tower:

The female tower operator made us coffee as the restaurant downstairs was closed.
She had a label on the back of her chair: “Bastard Operator from Hell”

I can recommend the airport, although it seem to be in the middle of nowhere. There is an LPV approach on both sides of the runway.
Friendly people and moderate landing fee. We paid something like 20EUR.

This is final for runway 09:

I did my very first flight at the controls of a plane on G-WARA, nice to see it’s still flying!

Are you aware what Bastard Operator from Hell actually stands for? It has long been a cult site among (a certain kind of) IT’ers but it takes an insider to be fully appreciated. Myself an insider to some degree, I consider its merits as mixed – there certainly are a couple of very fine pages there.

I must say I prefer the writing on the door – self-relativation at its best – wasn’t that “busiest tower” cry copied from some or other fly-in in them US of A? (for those who have no Teutonic: Bitte klingeln translates to Please ring the bell )

Last Edited by at 09 Jan 15:41
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

“World’s busiest control tower” is the claim of the tower at Oshkosh during EAA.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Fittingly, the inofficial hymn for Brandenburg seems to be this (sorry, only in German):

For the non-German speakers, the song is basically about how there is nothing there.

RXH wrote:

“World’s busiest control tower” is the claim of the tower at Oshkosh during EAA.

Indeed.

copied from some or other fly-in

I think Oshkosh has become a little more than a fly-in.

EGTK Oxford

I met the Tower Boss (the Head of the Tower ATC during EAA, he is the guy in the pink shirt which all controllers wear) during last year’s Oshkosh and he was so kind to invite me for a private tour of the tower during one of the daily airshows. While the airshow is on, the airspace around Oshkosh becomes a prohibited area and ATC-services are moved to a temporary wooden structure next to the main runway, i.e. the tower controllers have an extended break during which guests are allowed to enter the tower.

The tower at Osh is easily the highest structure for as far as the eye can see as Wisconsin is not exactly known for its mountains.

And JasonC is quite right in saying that Osh is a bit more than a fly-in. If you are interested in aviation and have a chance to visit Oshkosh during EAA, you should definitely go.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Rwy20 wrote:

Fittingly, the inofficial hymn for Brandenburg seems to be this

This song doesn`t fit to Neubrandenburg. I recommend to take a look on a map. The distance between Brandenburg (EDBE) near Berlin and Neubrandenburg (EDBN) in the Northeast of Germany is about 75 nm.
lenthamen wrote:

Friendly people and moderate landing fee

Yes, I can support your impression. They even have a flight school. With the retreat of the German Airforce the ILS 27 was decommissioned in 2014. The downside are expensive fuel and no public transport to the city center in 6 km distance.

Berlin, Germany

A few years ago, I had a meeting in Poland just at the border.
Neubrandenburg was close. Very nice airfield. Wiener schnitzel in the restaurant and a rental car waiting. I can only recommend the place.
I departed shortly after a larger Russian freighter.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

highflyer wrote:

The downside are expensive fuel and no public transport to the city center in 6 km distance.

We stopped there 2 years ago, the taxi was not too bad. The city center with its wall and doors is worth a daytrip.

ESMK, Sweden
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message