Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA La Rochelle Fly-In - May 2013

Just downloaded the latest SIA for La Rochelle and the "compusory for single engine piston" (see above) has been removed, but "hand push" is still there.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

The Visual Approach Chart with parking info is here

Bordeaux

The current notam for LFBH is here

---------------------------------------------------------------------
AIS NORWAY -   PREFLIGHT INFORMATION BULLETIN: 130521/0741
               GENERAL BULLETIN
               INCLUDES NOTAM VALID FROM: 210741   FOR: 24 HOUR(S)
               AERODROMES: LFBH
               HEIGHT: 000/999
               PERM NOTAM CUTOFF: 365 DAY(S)
               TRAFFIC: IV         PURPOSE: NBO    SCOPE: AEW
               SNOWTAM: NO         MET: NO
               IGA: NO
---------------------------------------------------------------------

LFBH (LA ROCHELLE ILE DE RE) 

FIRE AND RESCUE HOURS OF OPS:
.LEVEL 7:
MON: 0900-1600
TUE WED: 1200-1600
THU: 1300-1600
FRI: 0700-1600
SAT: 0700-1830
SUN: 0700-1200
.LEVEL 5:
MON: 0330-0900 1600-2030 EXC 20/05 0600-0900 1600-2030
TUE-WED: 0330-1200 1600-2030 EXC 01, 08 MAY: 0600-1200,
1600-1800
THU: 0330-1300 1600-2030 EXC 09/05: 0600-1300, 1600-1800
FRI: 0330-0700 1600-2030 EXC 10/05: 0600-0700, 1600-2030
SUN: 1200-2030                                    : NOTAM LF/B2191/13

LA ROCHELLE TMA AND CTR HOURS OF OPS :
MON-FRI : 0345-2030
EXCEPT ON :
MAY 01 08 09 : 0700-1700
MAY 10 20 : 0700-2030
SAT : 0700-1815
SUN : 0700-2030                                   : NOTAM LF/B2203/13

JET A1 AND AVGAS FUELLING HOURS OF SERVICE:
- SCHEDULED FLIGHTS:
  MON-FRI 0300-1730 EXC 01 08 20 0700-1730
  SAT SUN 0700-1730
- OTHER FLIGHTS:
  MON-FRI 0500-1730 EXC 01 08 20 0700-1730
  SAT SUN 0700-1730
- FUELLING TEL 33 (0)5 46 42 86 69                : NOTAM LF/B2283/13

END-OF-BULLETIN 

The bit about pushing onto the grass for area E is in the AIP which is not going to be updated every time the grass gets wet. My guess is that somebody had a prop strike and went after the airport. I have seen the grass there and I would not taxi onto it under power (well not without shutting down and walking the specific bit of grass I was going to taxi onto) although countless others have.

The taxiway is tarmac so you need to push only the few metres onto the grass.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As a recent victim of a prop strike when transiting from grass to concrete, I'll be happy to push from now on.

Forever learning
EGTB

We just returned from our trip Rotterdam - Dieppe - La Rochelle - Jersey - Rotterdam.

The weather departing Rotterdam was IFR with a cloud-base of approx. 800 feet, but we could get through the cloud layer fast and fly on-top. Approaching Dieppe, the weather cleared up completely and we had a great time with some other Dutch pilots also flying to Dieppe. We enjoyed lunch in the harbour outside and got some sun!

The arrival at La Rochelle was IFR only with thunderstorm activity in the area and lots of wind. The weather on arrival was rain with a circling approach to the reciprocal runway. The runway was soaked wet. We had to park on the grass (just read the discussion above on this issue). We taxied on the grass and did not have to push our aircraft on the grass. Same thing the next morning. We just taxied out from the grass apron to the fuel station. For the rest, all was pretty relaxed. To get off the airport there is a gate near the fuel station. The key code to open the gate is there on the wall on a digital display. That key opens the door and gets you also back in again.

La Rochelle was great. Too bad nobody could make it this weekend. One good food suggestion given by several locals is to go to the seafood restaurant called André. We did and did enjoy it fully. It is not Michelin star restaurant, but offers a very good and relaxed atmosphere in 5 restaurants all linked together from one street to the next block. Lots of room, but the house was completely full with no empty tables. The sea food offered was great and fresh from the sea. You have to make a reservation to get a table. Other advise given was to not go and eat at any restaurant that is right at the harbour. They are not the best and also expensive.

We stayed in a bed-and-breakfast that was super! The B&B was a 5 minute walk from the harbour. The lady that runs the B&B used to work for Le Monde in Paris, but moved over with her family to La Rochelle 2 years ago. I can't remember spending so much time at the breakfast table as here at this B&B.

After visiting La Rochelle we flew on to Jersey. This was my first trip to this island and I must say that I really enjoyed it. I had to arrive at Jersey with weather almost at the minima (cloudbase 300 ft) and was welcomed warmly at the Jersey aeroclub. A group of VFR pilots from Germany was stuck there trying to get out for their group trip back home, but the weather was too bad for a SVFR departure. While on the island, the weather cleared up and we actually had a great time.

Some pictures of our trip are here.

I won't be able to join the new scheduled meeting at La Rochelle. I would have loved to meet some of you.

EDLE, Netherlands

Looking at the weather, it doesn't look too good again...

But it is a pattern under which the forecast for Sat+Sun will substantially change every day you look at it.

My inclination is to not cancel and see how it goes.

The charts do fairly consistently show OK weather at La Rochelle.

Administrator

It's beyond miz on the west coast at the mo.... ffffft.

Great photos, btw, AP! You guys obviously know how to have a good time - never mind a few gales and torrential rain :)

Bordeaux

They announced snow starting at 2300ft MSL in Southern Germany...

I've taken TWO rooms for nights 24/25 at St Nicholas. The couple who are flying with me have a soft spot for La Rochelle and coincidentally, it seems, that is their normal place of accommodation.

Hope I've not made things difficult for others wanting the same venue.

Understand from the Lady (Celine) that 'other' are already 'in'.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

I've just been doing some GRAMET plots and there is a good chance that a flight UK to LFBH on Saturday morning will be a lot nicer than a flight on Friday afternoon.

However I still think the position and severity of the muck on Friday cannot be forecast usefully this far out.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message